Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SuraMan
Advocate II
Advocate II

Power BI samples documentation?

Hello,

Microsoft has kindly provided Power BI Samples so that we can learn the patterns and use them as case studies. I can't however find documentation that walks us through, or at least describes the design decisions and reasons.

As an example, below is one such sample PBIX for Retail Analysis.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/sample-retail-analysis

Opening this in Power BI, we see that Sales table is marked "hidden" in the data model view. What was the design decision for this? Moreover, why is "Sales" table appearing with an icon of a calculator? Eventhough Sales table is hidden data model view, it still appears in FIELDS list in Report View - how was this done? If we hide a table, it completely vanishes from the Report view (unless we enable 'view hidden')  Unfornately, we are left to guess the answers to these rather than explaning, which doesn't seem a good thing.

I am wondering whether there is actually documentation that I have missed.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @SuraMan,

why is "Sales" table appearing with an icon of a calculator?

Please refer to this similar thread.

Eventhough Sales table is hidden data model view, it still appears in FIELDS list in Report View - how was this done? If we hide a table, it completely vanishes from the Report view (unless we enable 'view hidden')

Hide a table would make it invisible in Field List, while it allows you to still use the column when building your own report. Also, hidden tables are not available when you publish the dataset to service.

I am wondering whether there is actually documentation that I have missed.

Based on research, I didn't find corresponding document that describes the design decisions and reasons. You could submit ideas here.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.