Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NoobAnalyst01
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI runs very slow for a same query which runs fast in Toad Oracle

Hello,

I am trying to import my data to power bi, which gives me the data as below PL/SQL:

SELECT
  A.WINDOW,
  A.ROUTE,
  A.WEBORDERNUM,
  min(A.SCANDATE)
FROM
  SCANNING A
WHERE
  (
   A.CARTONSTATUS  IN  ( 'DELIVERED','REFUSED' )
   AND
   ( A.SCANDATE  >TRUNC(SYSDATE)+1/24)
  )
 Group by
 A.WINDOW,
 A.ROUTE,
 A.WEBORDERNUM

I import the scanning table in power bi, and do the following steps:

sq4aI.jpgc

select "rows"."WEBORDERNUM" as "WEBORDERNUM",
    "rows"."ROUTE" as "ROUTE",
    "rows"."WINDOW" as "WINDOW",
    min("rows"."SCANDATE") as "Min Scan"
from 
(
    select "_"."SCANDATE",
        "_"."WEBORDERNUM",
        "_"."ROUTE",
        "_"."WINDOW"
    from "AIRCLIC_PROD"."CARTONTRACKING" "_"
    where "_"."SCANDATE" > TO_TIMESTAMP('2018-06-26 01:00:00','YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS.FF') and ("_"."CARTONSTATUS" = 'DELIVERED' and "_"."CARTONSTATUS" is not null or "_"."CARTONSTATUS" = 'REFUSED' and "_"."CARTONSTATUS" is not null)
) "rows"
group by "WEBORDERNUM",
    "ROUTE",
    "WINDOW"

I think they are exactly the same, but I am not sure it takes more than 5 mins to import the data in power bi, but when I run the query in Toad, it only take last than 1 sec.

Anyone has an idea?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

This thread should give you instruction on how to use Custom SQL as your source

View solution in original post

@NoobAnalyst01,

Directly add  your original SQL statement into the highlighted box when importing data from Oracle, and check if the time reduces.
1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NoobAnalyst01,

My guess is that since your source does not support query foldings for some transformations, so the transformation are taking place in your local computer instead, so basically it will pull every row from your table into your computer's memory and perform transformation rather than performing all transformation at the source if you write a custom SQL instead. 

I am 90% think the problem is from scandate, here is the sample table of my scandate

Image 3.jpg

im powerbi , in order to achieve scandate>trunc(sysdate)+1/24, i have one step:

= Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows2", each [SCANDATE]>#datetime(Date.Year(Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow())),Date.Month(Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow())),Date.Day(Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow())),1,0,0))

you mean transformation, the transformation must from there, but i really don't know more detail.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NoobAnalyst01,

Can I ask how many records do you have in your table? Also does it run faster if you take out your "Filtered Rows#2" transformation? 

filter 2 is to filter the order status only for delivered or refused, it won;t affect.

i have more than 6000 return orders scans.

when i run the query directly in Oracle, it takes less than 1 sec!!!

but when i import the table and do it in power bi, more than 6 7 mins

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NoobAnalyst01,

I would recommend using your custom SQL as source instead since it is running faster

so I should use direct query?

but i have another tables, wihch I import from the database.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This thread should give you instruction on how to use Custom SQL as your source

any one achieved this performance issue please reply

you mena, still use import method, but using custome sql rahter than import the table?

@NoobAnalyst01,

Directly add  your original SQL statement into the highlighted box when importing data from Oracle, and check if the time reduces.
1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I am using directquery and my visuals are very basic. However, it takes a bit more time to populate the dashboard, whilst Sql server ran the query instantly. Could this be an issue of having multiple queries or do they run independent of themselves? I doubt this to be the case because some queries from certain sources are immediate, even on the same page, whereas other queries or visualizations take a much longer time (~10-15 seconds) . 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.