Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

samcarbo
Frequent Visitor

Power BI row level security issue

Hi Guys, I recently created some row level security in the Data set. I was asked to create these level security to hide some information to specific user in the company. So I created to different role and assigned the users to these roles. I tried the role by using the function: View as a certain role and everything was working so I wnet forward and let those users know that they can now use Power BI. At my suprise they were able to see the data I was trying to hide from them even if they wer assigned the role I just created. Does anybody know how I can solve that issue ?

Thank you,

Sam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @samcarbo ,

In the Power BI service, members of a workspace have access to datasets in the workspace. RLS doesn't restrict this data access. Limitations

In addition, If you have configured a classic workspace so that members have edit permissions, the RLS roles won't be applied to them. Users can see all of the data.

Read related document:Create classic workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

vhenrykmstf_0-1630394247029.png

Further check whether the problem is caused by the above reasons. 

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide related operation screenshoots.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @samcarbo ,

In the Power BI service, members of a workspace have access to datasets in the workspace. RLS doesn't restrict this data access. Limitations

In addition, If you have configured a classic workspace so that members have edit permissions, the RLS roles won't be applied to them. Users can see all of the data.

Read related document:Create classic workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

vhenrykmstf_0-1630394247029.png

Further check whether the problem is caused by the above reasons. 

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide related operation screenshoots.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

deevaker
Resolver I
Resolver I

Please verify if you have added the user in power bi service ->dataset-> security

Yes, I already did that !

what you see when you "view role as" (power bi desktop->model->view as)  that user whom you shared the report 

When I '' View as'' the new role I created its not possible to view the data

But

When I ''View as'' the person I just add the the security role (and saved) its possible to see the data...

I think i would be easy I you can share any sample report. or may be you would like to show on a call. Please feel free to connect at
skype -deevaker1
mail - dgoel@cliqueinfotech.com
Phone - +91-9711975011

Migasuke
Super User
Super User

Hi @samcarbo ,

Have you tested the roles before you shared the report? Also, can you share your RLS rules?

If my answer was helpful please give me a Kudos or even accept as a Solution.

Let's connect on LinkedIn!

samcarbo_0-1630006891100.png

This are the RLS rules, i'm just hiding all row from different table. The DAX expression are just FALSE for a bunch of tables. Yes I tried it after saving it and publishing it on the web. On the web version my role I created are there and I am able to assign user to it. When I tried it like that

samcarbo_1-1630007199234.png

I am not seing any information (so its working). But the user I assigned to this role is able to still see the data even if I had him to the role.

Hi @samcarbo ,

I have to say it is quite strange. Generally speaking, if you test your role and don't see any data, but the person still sees the data that is something hard to explain.

Good luck with this, I hope somone will give insight on this topic. I am also quite curious.

If my answer was helpful please give me a Kudos or even accept as a Solution.

Let's connect on LinkedIn!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors