Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

lcasey
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Power BI reporting URL is changing

I am desperatly trying to use filter URL's with no Luck.  Not only is the service down, but filter by URL will no longer ever work.

1. If open the report and Modify anything, I need to re-publish the content pack so my end users see the changes.

2. After Publishing the contet pack the URL of the report changes, so the link I have in teh reort is no good.

3.  There is no longer any way to keep the same report ID when publishing content packs?  This makes filter by URL useless.

Can anyone tell me how I am supposed to create a link on a report to the same report when after you publish the report, it gets a whole new Report Guid.

Is there something I need to do when publishing the content pack that keeps the same report Guuid?

9 REPLIES 9
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

1. If open the report and Modify anything, I need to re-publish the content pack so my end users see the changes.

2. After Publishing the contet pack the URL of the report changes, so the link I have in teh reort is no good.

3. There is no longer any way to keep the same report ID when publishing content packs?  This makes filter by URL useless.

Hi @lcasey,

Based on my test, I created a content pack and published to My entire organization, then my workmate got report from this content pack. If I modify the report on my side and update content pack like below, the report ID in my workmate's workspace is changed. But in my workspace, the report ID still the same without any change.

e1.PNG

In your scenario, what do you mean about "After Publishing the contet pack the URL of the report changes, so the link I have in teh reort is no good."? Also can you explain more about this "Can anyone tell me how I am supposed to create a link on a report to the same report when after you publish the report, it gets a whole new Report Guid."? It seems you place the report URL which published as content pack in another report, right? It would be better if you could share more information.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Qiuyun,

I am trying to pass a url as a filter in a report to lookup workflow for an Item. The end user clicks the link, the link then passes a ID to the 3rd tab on the report for filtering out workflow.

When I Publish the report I am provided with a Link , I have the Link to MY report. But after publishing the the report, the url changes

Please see video of issue here:  http://screencast.com/t/7SGmJE5NqK4

Hi @lcasey,

I notice that before you publish the report to Power BI Service, the report named "Kwiktag" already exists. And after you publish the report, there are two "Kwiktag" reports in your workspace. You can open the first "Kwiktag", it's URL should be the URL you paste in notepad firstly. As they are two separate reports though they have the same name, it's expected they have different URL.

q1.PNG

Generally, if the first report is published from the desktop, when we republish the report, it will prompt us to replace original dataset like below. Once we click the Replace, the original report and dataset will be override by the new one. So there should be one report in the workspace. But from your video, I see it didn't prompt you to replace the dataset when you publish the report. It seams your original report didn't come from the desktop, right?

q2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello ,

Thank You.  You are right, and I think I was in a very frustrateded and hurried mode. Thank you for taking the time to look at this.

I actually Got everything working.  Although, I swear, at 1 point there was an issue.

Also, It would be totally helpful to be able to have a link open in a dialogue box with further exportable details.

@lcasey wrote:

Hello ,

Thank You.  You are right, and I think I was in a very frustrateded and hurried mode. Thank you for taking the time to look at this.

I actually Got everything working.  Although, I swear, at 1 point there was an issue.

Also, It would be totally helpful to be able to have a link open in a dialogue box with further exportable details.

Hi @lcasey,

Do you mean you want to download report from Power BI Service? Product team is working on this now, see: Download Reports to a .pbix file.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

No,

When working with a table in Power BI you see records that make up that table.  Within that recordset, I currently can create a URL Link filter to another report.  It is very efficient for the data consumer to be able to click that link and get a very nicely formated dialog box with additional information. Perhaps even a Graph with further drill down capabilites. Although in my experience, data consumers complain about every extra click of the mouse they need to make. Mouse clicks = work.

Example:

dialog.png

Hi @lcasey,

You can vote and comment on this similar feature request: Enable user friendly URL in a Power BI Desktop 'Table'.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Ummmm--- These are two completely different things. Power BI already solved the issue with ugly URL's

Hi @lcasey,

You can also create a new idea item in Idea Forums.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.