Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ksbiexpert06
Frequent Visitor

Power BI "An Active relationship already exists between tables" Deactivate the existing relationship

Hi , I have a complex data model and some of the tables has multiple joins between two tables and i am not able to define multiple joins between the two tables. I am getting an error "Power BI "An Active relationship already exists between tables" Deactivate the existing relationship first".. Below is a quick example and not the actual tables. Its allowing me only to activate only one relation ship ..? Any suggestion

multiplejoin.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can only have one active relationship between two tables. You can however create as many inactive relationships as possible. It's easiest to do this through the Manage Relationships button on the Modeling tab in the ribbon. Once you've added them, you can write measures to reactivate them for specific calculations with the USERELATIONSHIP function. In cases where you need more than one relationship between the same two tables, I recommend making none of them active, simply toggle them back on with USERELATIONSHIP.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @ksbiexpert06,

In PBI you can only have one active relationship between tables, although you can have more than one relation between tables only one will be active.

The option here is to create dimension tables with unique values and pass the relationships for both tables trough those dimension tables creating a star schema.

Regards,
Mfelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can only have one active relationship between two tables. You can however create as many inactive relationships as possible. It's easiest to do this through the Manage Relationships button on the Modeling tab in the ribbon. Once you've added them, you can write measures to reactivate them for specific calculations with the USERELATIONSHIP function. In cases where you need more than one relationship between the same two tables, I recommend making none of them active, simply toggle them back on with USERELATIONSHIP.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors