Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerBIlearner
Frequent Visitor

Power BI on 2016

Ok my DBA has set up a new SQL server 2016 (SSRS 2016) environment on a server and wants me to do POC on power BI with 2016 instead of taking the refersing using gateway route. I have a Dashboard created on my local (pbix file) and I also have SSRS 2016 hosted on a server. Where do I start now to integrate power BI with SSRS 2016? Is the process similar to how we upload the SSRS reports and point to a data source? I have uploaded the pbix to report manager and where do I change the source after uploading?Page1.pngPage2.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PowerBIlearner,

As @Seth_C_Bauer suggested, Power BI reports in SQL Server Reporting Services is now available in the Azure Marketplace. It supports Power BI reports that connect “live” to Analysis Services models – both Tabular and Multidimensional (cubes). For more information, please refer to articles below:

Technical Preview of Power BI reports in SQL Server Reporting Services now available

Create Power BI reports in the SQL Server Reporting Services Technical Preview

PowerBI reports and dashboard on-premise hosting

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PowerBIlearner,

As @Seth_C_Bauer suggested, Power BI reports in SQL Server Reporting Services is now available in the Azure Marketplace. It supports Power BI reports that connect “live” to Analysis Services models – both Tabular and Multidimensional (cubes). For more information, please refer to articles below:

Technical Preview of Power BI reports in SQL Server Reporting Services now available

Create Power BI reports in the SQL Server Reporting Services Technical Preview

PowerBI reports and dashboard on-premise hosting

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@PowerBIlearner My experiance is the following.

I can upload a Power BI Desktop file, an end user can download the report and see the reports, but cannot refresh unless they have access to the source files (which would sit on your machine, hypothetically). I would imagine that this may work if you grab those files from a shared location, but the Desktop is connected directly to them, not via SSRS.

Keep in mind, this is a rev 1 implementation...

To get more of an accurate idea to see what the experiance will be in the future (post SSRS 2016), check out and use the technical preview of how the reporting team has this working in their pre-configured VM here

It's been announced by the SSRS team at PASS that this functionality won't be in SSRS 2016, but in a future release. From my understanding the SSRS team will be posting a blog soon about exact timing.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.