Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI odbc mongodb connection error

Hello everyone,

I am making an attempt to connect my mongodb with Power BI by using the ODBC connector. I followed the steps that were specified here: https://docs.mongodb.com/bi-connector/master/connect/powerbi/

To summarize my steps:

1. i installed mongodb and connect with it through compass

2. i installed the visual C++ and the mongodb odbc for BI 

3. Created a DSN by following the steps on the site. When i press "test" it will freeze/ become unresponsive.

4. When i try to use the DSN within power BI without testing it, it gives the following error: Details: "ODBC: ERROR [08S01] [MySQL][ODBC 1.2(a) Driver]Lost connection to MySQL server at 'waiting for initial communication packet', system error: 10060"

I am not sure what I am doing wrong or maybe missed a step, I am not very familliar with the working of mongoDB so all help is appreciated!

Best regards,

LMeijdam.

(PS does someone know where I can change my mail adres since the one I have been using for this forum will get deactivated in a month and I dont want to lose my account)

4 REPLIES 4
juangui02700

How many years trying to resolve this and nothing, i'm stuck there in the same situation and nothing works. Thanks

Marc76
Frequent Visitor

I found this video, Solved!-> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arKg5j9Uucg

Must start connector for bi before ...... Odbc connection runs but it's really really slooooooooowww

please vote https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/7017782-mongodb

I've the same problem. No connection problems from other clients like dbeaver. Not user and password configured, default port 27017

Server PortServer PortConnection AcceptedConnection AcceptedOdbc 64. :-(Odbc 64. 😞

When freezes mongod shows connection accepted. Please, any idea ?

Thank's

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Do you create a System DSN or a User DSN?

If your user is defined on the "admin" DB,

Please create a System DSN to points to your data source in ODBC administrator(run ODBC as administrator)

Connecting Power BI and Mongo dB

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-juanli-msft,

I tried both a System DSN and a User DSN. While setting up MongoDB I never specified a user or account so I leave those fields blank. Even when I try to run ODBC in admin mode it still freezes/ becomes unresponsive when I try to test the connection. 

(PS do you know at what page I can change my user mailadress? Or who I can contact for this?)

Best regards,

Lieuwe Meijdam

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.