Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI odbc mongodb connection error

Hello everyone,

I am making an attempt to connect my mongodb with Power BI by using the ODBC connector. I followed the steps that were specified here: https://docs.mongodb.com/bi-connector/master/connect/powerbi/

To summarize my steps:

1. i installed mongodb and connect with it through compass

2. i installed the visual C++ and the mongodb odbc for BI 

3. Created a DSN by following the steps on the site. When i press "test" it will freeze/ become unresponsive.

4. When i try to use the DSN within power BI without testing it, it gives the following error: Details: "ODBC: ERROR [08S01] [MySQL][ODBC 1.2(a) Driver]Lost connection to MySQL server at 'waiting for initial communication packet', system error: 10060"

I am not sure what I am doing wrong or maybe missed a step, I am not very familliar with the working of mongoDB so all help is appreciated!

Best regards,

LMeijdam.

(PS does someone know where I can change my mail adres since the one I have been using for this forum will get deactivated in a month and I dont want to lose my account)

5 REPLIES 5
juangui02700

How many years trying to resolve this and nothing, i'm stuck there in the same situation and nothing works. Thanks

Hello Juangui!

The problem continues today. I will try to open a ticket to solve it, to see if you can give me a clue, but I have tried the video and I can't find the DB.

It is desperate that since 2019 this error continues.

Regards,

Marc76
Frequent Visitor

I found this video, Solved!-> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arKg5j9Uucg

Must start connector for bi before ...... Odbc connection runs but it's really really slooooooooowww

please vote https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/7017782-mongodb

I've the same problem. No connection problems from other clients like dbeaver. Not user and password configured, default port 27017

Server PortServer PortConnection AcceptedConnection AcceptedOdbc 64. :-(Odbc 64. 😞

When freezes mongod shows connection accepted. Please, any idea ?

Thank's

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Do you create a System DSN or a User DSN?

If your user is defined on the "admin" DB,

Please create a System DSN to points to your data source in ODBC administrator(run ODBC as administrator)

Connecting Power BI and Mongo dB

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-juanli-msft,

I tried both a System DSN and a User DSN. While setting up MongoDB I never specified a user or account so I leave those fields blank. Even when I try to run ODBC in admin mode it still freezes/ becomes unresponsive when I try to test the connection. 

(PS do you know at what page I can change my user mailadress? Or who I can contact for this?)

Best regards,

Lieuwe Meijdam

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.