Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
PowerBisfun Visitor
Visitor

Power BI not sorting months properly

Hi everyone. 

I've created a very basic dataset to sort out expenses. The issue is, Power BI sorts the months correctly, but not by year. See image attached

How can I fix this? How can I get it to display Nov 2018, Dec 2018, etc.? In the correct order

Example for PowerBI.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Power BI not sorting months properly

Hey,

in a way it does, there are two options just create a yearmonth column that contains values that can be ordered, like so: 201811, 201812, 201901 or 2018-11, 2018-12, 2019-01

A second option is that you use nested columns on the x-axis.

To create a nested hierarchy, just add the columns like Year and Month to the x-axis of your chart:

image.png

Make sure the "Concatenate labels" property is set to off (Formatting pane --> X axis card):

image.png

Drill down all levels of the hierarchy in your chart:

image.png

Sort the x axis accordingly, please be aware that this might look different as your column names are different :-)):

image.png

A final move might be that you have to change the order sequence from descending to ascending or vice versa

Hopefully this is providing some ideas.

Regards,

Tom

Hamburg - Germany
If I answer you question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Proud to be a Datanaut!
1 REPLY 1
Super User
Super User

Re: Power BI not sorting months properly

Hey,

in a way it does, there are two options just create a yearmonth column that contains values that can be ordered, like so: 201811, 201812, 201901 or 2018-11, 2018-12, 2019-01

A second option is that you use nested columns on the x-axis.

To create a nested hierarchy, just add the columns like Year and Month to the x-axis of your chart:

image.png

Make sure the "Concatenate labels" property is set to off (Formatting pane --> X axis card):

image.png

Drill down all levels of the hierarchy in your chart:

image.png

Sort the x axis accordingly, please be aware that this might look different as your column names are different :-)):

image.png

A final move might be that you have to change the order sequence from descending to ascending or vice versa

Hopefully this is providing some ideas.

Regards,

Tom

Hamburg - Germany
If I answer you question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Proud to be a Datanaut!