Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI memory limit

I am using a laptop with 8 GB of ram. I am getting an memory error after loading 1,47GB of data from multiple excel tables into a appended table. What can I do to solve this?

Can I use the service (I have a pro account) to refresh this report? How can I change the source of a excel file from my local folder to my onedrive folder? I don't want to rebuild the report all over again.

Is it possible to change the origin of the tables in the power bi service?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Currently, there is no restriction on how large a pbix file can be locally. However, when you publish a pbix file over 1GB to Power BI Service, you will get a file size limit message. And in the case that your pbix file is less than 1GB when importing it to Power BI service, but the data model grows beyond 1 GB after a period of time, you will get a message when refreshing the dataset. 

So you connect to your onedrive excel on Power BI services.

How can I change the source of a excel file from my local folder to my onedrive folder? I don't want to rebuild the report all over again.
Currently, we cannot change the datasource from local excel to the excel files that stored in onedrive. I am afraid you need to recreate the reports.

If you have any concern on this feature, you can submit your idea on the link below. If this feature was mentioned by mulitple users, product team will consider to add this feature to next release.
https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Currently, there is no restriction on how large a pbix file can be locally. However, when you publish a pbix file over 1GB to Power BI Service, you will get a file size limit message. And in the case that your pbix file is less than 1GB when importing it to Power BI service, but the data model grows beyond 1 GB after a period of time, you will get a message when refreshing the dataset. 

So you connect to your onedrive excel on Power BI services.

How can I change the source of a excel file from my local folder to my onedrive folder? I don't want to rebuild the report all over again.
Currently, we cannot change the datasource from local excel to the excel files that stored in onedrive. I am afraid you need to recreate the reports.

If you have any concern on this feature, you can submit your idea on the link below. If this feature was mentioned by mulitple users, product team will consider to add this feature to next release.
https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Is this still not possible. I think i've edited souce via advenced query editor to shift from local to onedrive

Anonymous
Not applicable

I solved this problem by rebuilding my report doing all the calculated fields in Power BI instead of Excel. 

cs_skit
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Can you post more details about the error? Imho the chance is high that its not your 8GB physical ram thats the issue theres pagefile and such.

Also maybe try with the 64 bit version of PowerBI if you got 32 one installed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have Power BI 64 bit and the error is

Error Message:

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'The operation has been cancelled because there is not enough memory available for the application.

Anonymous
Not applicable

To explain my problem with more detail, I have monthly equal tables from the orders I'm analysing since July 2016

Then I have a "master table" that appends all the data together and I use that table to create visuals on the report.

Could this be a problem?

2017-07-05 14_06_28-OSDisk (C_).png

What you could do is either reduce your number of columns and such you are importing so make the importing data less taxing.

OR

For authoring the Report work with data files containing only a subset of the rows just to have the structure. Then after you publish the report to the service refresh the Files using a Gateway from the big files into the service.

But my guess is that simplifying your source data might be good anyway. Only read the columns you really need.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The thing is I already deleted the columns that have no interest for me. Does the Power BI service have more capacity to process this data? 

Maybe you have lot of unique records.

Try to load with less number of columns and check what PBI service capable of..

In your data, how many columns and rows it has?

Anonymous
Not applicable

22 columns and ~12 M rows

I'm going to try to do it in the service, atm I was doing it in the PB desktop

Try to cut down the columns and check.. 

You are getting this error in PBI service only right?

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, in PB desktop

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.