Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI (live query vs. import) architectural doubts and errors

Hi,

I have 2 «architectural » doubts on Power BI & SSAS Tabular, with other 2 « technical » doubts related.

I’m developing PBI reports connected to a small tabular model for a POC, with 80mb - so the amount of data is small, for now.

Architectural problems:

Some advanced users need to have the capability to create new columns, but it isn’t possible since PBI is connected to Tabular, so for them we’re thinking on importing data to PowerBI Desktop (we should go to PBI service at some time). In this case we’re thinking that the user can:

• Import data from tabular, with relations
  • If he wants, can change data with PowerQuery
  • Create reports in PBI, and new measures and columns using DAX
  • Save reports (PBI Desktop? / PBI Service?)

1 – Feasability - This is possible and the best possible way to do it on PBI Desktop and on PBI Service, right? We’re thinking between this choice, adding DAX filters also with this choice, or Direct Query to the Oracle DW.

2 – Security – If the user can import data, does it mean that he can later export it, save the PBIX file with all the data, … or is there anyway to limit exporting data?

Technical Problems:

The SSAS Server is located on a server with 32 Gb RAM, with these properties

I’m trying to import data to PBI Desktop (aug ’18) on my  personal 14 Gb RAM VM, and also the PBI Desktop installed on the Development VM with SSDT and 16GB RAM. In both cases the same errors appear:

e2.png 
DataSource.error: AnalysisServices: The operation has been cancelled because there is not enough memory available for the application. If using a 32-bit version of the product, consider upgrading to 64-bit version or increasing the amount of memory available on the machine.

e1.png

3 – I’ve searched on the internet and I’ve tried to change the properties on the server, but with no success to import all the model. (while In EXCEL I can connect to data without limitations)

4 – I did manage to import small individual tables, but instead of importing, for example,dimension  XXXUsers with their attributes, It appeared Model (2), with attributes XXXUsers .xxx Resp. Id. , XXXUsers .xxx Responsible, XXXUsers .xxx login.

So I’d like to know if this import from Tabular should be the best way to do it, if it’s secure, what’s the error about and the attribute names that are appearing.

Thanks,

Regards.

3 REPLIES 3
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

1 – Feasability - This is possible and the best possible way to do it on PBI Desktop and on PBI Service, right? We’re thinking between this choice, adding DAX filters also with this choice, or Direct Query to the Oracle DW.

2 – Security – If the user can import data, does it mean that he can later export it, save the PBIX file with all the data, … or is there anyway to limit exporting data?

1- Yes. It's possible. You should create reports in Power Bi desktop, by adding calculated measures/columns with DAX. Then, publish report to Power BI service.

2- Yes. In both Power BI desktop and Service, report viewers can export data from visual. But in service, admin can disable the data export feature.

3 – I’ve searched on the internet and I’ve tried to change the properties on the server, but with no success to import all the model. (while In EXCEL I can connect to data without limitations)

Did you install 64-bit Power BI desktop version? If not, please try this version.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yulgu-msft,

1 ok

2 ok, do you know if it's possible to avoid printing of data

3 Yes it is the 64 bit version 

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

One possibility to let users create their on columns is to let them import data from tabular, with service Premium 50 gb we wont have problem with HD Space. But i would like to know if it's possible to prevent the user from print, export from visuals and export to pdf?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.