Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

reneincer
Advocate II
Advocate II

Power BI imports millions of rows when my model only have less than 20,000

Hi there, need your help!

I have a tabular model with 4 dimensions and a Fact Table with 17,000 rows, I processed it and deployed.

When I import them to Power BI it imports like 10 millions rows, so my question is, how Tabular model works on importing?

Is it a normal behavior?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @reneincer,

>>I wanted the import mode in order to use DAX and create calculations, but in live mode I can not use them, and with Import mode Power BI ignores relationships of my tabular model.

Perhaps you can calculate at original model side, then connect to desktop and use these in visuals.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @reneincer, I think the difference is that in your Tabular Model the data is being aggregated from the source possibly?

Whilst in Power BI Desktop it is just getting the raw source data?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

When I imported just my fact table, it imported it ok!  20K rows and consumes like 300 MB of RAM

But when I added a related dimension just with 10 rows, the memory of my SSAS Tabular instance consumes like 8 GB of RAM and my computer gets freezed, because it is importing millions of millions rows.

I dont know why if my data is just 20 MB it consumes more than 8 GB of RAM, and Why is importing millions of rows?

Does Power BI or Tabular Model do something heavy with tables related on importing? Or maybe a configuration I forget to set up?

I have a dimension table with 9 rows, one with 32, and another one with 30 rows. Does it multiplies 20,000 * 9 * 32 * 30 ?

I realized that Power BI in import mode import all my tabular model in just one table with n * n * n ... * n rows depending on how many tables do I choose to import.

I wanted the import mode in order to use DAX and create calculations, but in live mode I can not use them, and with Import mode Power BI ignores relationships of my tabular model.

So now my question is, do I need to configure something in SSDT to my tabular model so Power BI can interpret my relationships in import mode? Or is a design problem in Power BI that are going to implement in the future?

Hi @reneincer,

>>I wanted the import mode in order to use DAX and create calculations, but in live mode I can not use them, and with Import mode Power BI ignores relationships of my tabular model.

Perhaps you can calculate at original model side, then connect to desktop and use these in visuals.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @reneincer,

AFAK, power bi desktop not has size limit when you import the data from ssas. (size limit of publish to service is 1Gb)

For power bi reports, even if you import all the data to power bi desktop, it still show the top N records.(I haven't find the document which clearly mention the size limitation)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.