Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Criptop
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power BI hung on applying filter to a table

Hi all,

Had a good search on the forums but couldn't find a solution.

I have a simple table with a list of details of invoices and credits (data from a Power BI dataset), one of the columns being a Value column with positive values for invoices and negative values for credits. When there are no filters applied, the table shows everything. When a filter on the Value column is appled to show only items with a value above zero (i.e. invoices only), it lists only the invoices. However, if I apply a filter on the Value column to show only items with a value below zero (i.e credits only), Power BI hangs and never applies the filter.

I have used the performance analyzer and initially the negative value filter came up with an 'Other' processing time of 276207 ms, but now it's been hanging for about 1.5 hours and is still trying to apply the filter.  

Still quite new to Power BI and would really appreciate assitance on this issue. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Criptop
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi All,

Just in case anyone is looking at this down the line, I ended up just recreating the report in a new PBIX file. Used the same measures, tables, visuals etc but it works fine and quickly applies the filters.

Thanks

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Criptop
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi All,

Just in case anyone is looking at this down the line, I ended up just recreating the report in a new PBIX file. Used the same measures, tables, visuals etc but it works fine and quickly applies the filters.

Thanks

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

OK, so nothing to concern us in terms of the visual or measures.  It seems to point to a network latency or firewall issue or model connection problem.   It's not something I have any particular expertise in.  Can you experiment by creating another pre-filtered dataset in the service and connecting to that?

@HotChilli Sorry for delayed reply. Was on leave and have been tasked with other reports to create first. I'll try recreating the report and see if that solves the problem. Will update this thread when I can

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Can you clarify this part "data from a Power BI dataset" ?  Is this referring to an imported model or are you connecting to a dataset hosted in the service?

--

Is it one table visual which draws data from several related data tables?

How many rows in the table?

Does the table visual contain any complex measures?

Thank you for your message.

I am connected to a Power BI dataset which I have published to the Service. The Dataset uses DirectQuery.

It is one table visual that draws data from 2 related data tables

There are 68,000 rows in the visual table.

There are no complex measures in the table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.