Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

elijudy1
Frequent Visitor

Power BI having issues reconciling different schemas in same Oracle Database

In SQL Developer, SQLPlus, and Excel I successfully run a query where a table sits in a specific schema under a specific database. But the query won't run in Power BI. Queries to other Oracle databases run but this specific one won't. This specific one queries a table from a different schema, but the database is the same. Power BI seperates the schema and then reads it as empty, whereas SQL Developer, SQLPlus, and Excel do not seperate the schema, they instead see the table under one schema. How do I know Power BI seperates the schema? Because when I don't run the query and just connect to the database, Power BI introduces a schema under this database that is not shown in SQL Developer, SQLPlus, or Excel. This schema is the username for the database. This make no sense to me and is quite mysterious. But it is an issue. Because now I have to create an Excel file that will run the query, then connect to that Excel file using Power BI. That's a drag.

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @elijudy1 ,

Do you means use t-sql query to get data from database? If this is a case, you can enable advanced options and add your query to sql statement.

3.png

I think it is impossible to use power bi to invoke additional driver or client to query data.

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your quick response. I do add t-sql query to the sql statement for all my queries. Queries to this database referencing this particular table come back with an error stating the table is not defined. This is the only table I get this error with. Other queries to this Oracle database not querying this table come back fine. In fact when I try and poll the database without a query the specified table shows up as an empty schema rather than a table.

HI @elijudy1 ,

What type of table you used? entity table or dataview from external database?
If you have multiple databases(with similar table names) install on that device, I'd like to suggest you to use full name to invoke that table.

BTW, current power bi not support to get data from dynamic data structure tables. Power query steps will cache previous table structure and you can only update same data structure table records.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.