Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

faizanahmad
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI free Desktop

Hi,

I need some clarification.

I want to know if users using Power BI free desktop within our organisation, could create reports, refresh them.

I think they can. But I have been reading and found some confusing articles saying they can share dahboards.

My question is who can they share with, since they are free desktop users? 

From what I understand, free users cant access workspaces unless they are a part of workspace that uses premium capacity. So, does this mean, a free user can create report, publish it to workspace with premium capacity, this report can then be viewed by other members of the workspace regardless if they were free or pro users?

Also, if a free users creates a report on free desktop version, can he publish it to web version and view/access it on the go (mobile , browser)?

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Power-BI-Free-vs-Pro-Infographic/ba-p/160750

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

user that just have "Power BI Free" licence can just publish reports to their private workspace "My workspace".

An app can not be created from "My workspace".

User with a Power BI Free License can't be a member of an App Workspace, they just can access content within an App that is based on a Premium Workspace

A user with a Power BI Free license is able to watch content from the following

• My Workspace
  • App Content bases on a Premium Workspace

To publish to an "App Workspace" it's necessary to have a Power BI Pro license.

Please be aware that there is no license or anything similar for Power BI Desktop, licensing becomes relevant for publishing and sharing.

Basically people with a  Power BI Free license can't share content with their colleagues.

Hopefully this answers some of your questions

Regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

user that just have "Power BI Free" licence can just publish reports to their private workspace "My workspace".

An app can not be created from "My workspace".

User with a Power BI Free License can't be a member of an App Workspace, they just can access content within an App that is based on a Premium Workspace

A user with a Power BI Free license is able to watch content from the following

• My Workspace
  • App Content bases on a Premium Workspace

To publish to an "App Workspace" it's necessary to have a Power BI Pro license.

Please be aware that there is no license or anything similar for Power BI Desktop, licensing becomes relevant for publishing and sharing.

Basically people with a  Power BI Free license can't share content with their colleagues.

Hopefully this answers some of your questions

Regards

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

@TomMartens

Thank you for the response.

Also, from the article below, I believe there aren't any limitations, except the fact you can do peer-peer sharing and app access.

aff.JPG

Correct!

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hi All

free version does it allow me to view my report from iPad ? 

paul

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.