Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EZgrafton
Advocate II
Advocate II

Power BI for Human Resources

Hello,

I am new to Power BI, and I am wondering is anyone in the Community uses Power BI to analyse and visualise human resources metrics. Most resources available online deal with sales, profits, margins. I only deal with people, joiners, leavers, and absences. It would be refreshing to share best practices with someone who deals with the same issues.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @EZgrafton,

It would be better if you could provide sample data and expected visualization, so that we are able to help you contrapuntally. There is a sample looks at new hires, active employees, and employees who left and tries to uncover any trends in the hiring strategy. You can take a look at this sample firstly: Human Resources sample for Power BI: Take a tour.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Qiuyun_Yu,

Check out this post. You will find a sample of my data. I need to show the annual labour turnover by month and provide my managers with the ability to drill down through the five level of hierarchy.

Thank you

I have a solution for resource capacity management, which may be of interest from an HR perspective. You can see it in action here: https://tumbleroad.com/power-bi-managed-services#testdrive on tab 4. All data is sourced from Project Online/Project Server.

Treb Gatte | Business Solutions MVP | Blog | Twitter

Also, your need is similar to one I had of a Project Management Office need of knowing how many projects finished per month.

In the M query, I translate the finish date to two new columns, Year and Month. From there, I place them in a matrix where the counts are in the intersection, Yr/Month across the top and your rows could be however you need to visualize it. You could do the same with the date they leave.

Hopefully, this can provide some additional ideas. 

Treb Gatte | Business Solutions MVP | Blog | Twitter

Thank you Qiuyun Yu.

I checked the  Human Resources sample for Power BI: Take a tour; hower, I cannot see instructions on how to build those models. 

Are they available?

Thank you 

Hi @EZgrafton,

Please see the whole article posted in my original reply ( https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-sample-human-resources-take-a-tour/ ). We can use two ways to get those model:

In Power BI Service, we can go to Get Data > Samples > Human Resources Sample > Connect.

Or you can download the Human Resources Sample Excel workbook from this site: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=529780 . Then import the workbook into Power BI Desktop.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@EZgrafton
We have used power bi for HR department. It is similar implementation to what we did for other departments except few changes as per the need and data. Do you have any specific question about deployment or the best practice ?

Hello Ankit,

Check out this post. It shows a sample of my data with specific questions.

Thank you

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@EZgrafton

We have used power bi for HR department. It is similar implementation to what we did for other departments except few changes as per the need and data. Do you have any specific question about deployment or the best practice ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.