Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI does not assume regional settings for thousands separator

Hello everyone,

My power BI desktop app is not recognizing the regional settings of my PC.

Despite having the regional settings set to the US everywhere, in both Windows settings and Power BI settings, Power BI still shows values using comma as the thousands separator and dot as the decimal separator:

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

In Power BI whole numbers still show up like this:

5.png

Besides this, I have also tried changing the thousands separator using the "Change Type with Locale" option, but the values still remain the same:

6.png

7.png

Can someone please help regarding this issue?

Thank you very much!

8 REPLIES 8
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

I had the same problem.

Apparently it's because of the language you install from the Power BI Desktop version

Download the Power BI in English, open the report, save it, publish it and correct the problem

rafaelc2021_0-1635467418791.png

Try it and tell us if it worked

ConsultorIC
Regular Visitor

Greetings to the whole community. Sometimes even when we make the respective adjustments at the regional level, once the reports are published on the web the format takes a different configuration and this is due to the language that we have defined in our browser. For example I am in Peru and although we speak Spanish we use the "," instead of the "." as a thousands separator. If our browser has as its main language Spanish (Spain) will reverse this condition so we must guarantee having enabled as the main language that of our Spanish locality (Peru) would be my case. To make the change we go in our browser to Settings > Advanced Settings > Languages. solucioinpbi.jpg I hope it's helpful to you.

Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

Please refer to this post.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Re-Thousand-Separator-for-Measures/m-p/575714

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Mariusz,

Thank you for your response.

I am already using the normal "Card" visualization option, not the "Advanced Card" option. In fact, I don't even have available the "Advanced Card" option in the Visualizations tab.

I am unfortunately still having the issue of commas instead of dots.

Again, thank you for your help.

Best regards.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on my test, it seems the display  of number in visual does not follow the customize format setting, after we set the regoin to Chile(it use dot as thousands spereator defaultly), it show as expected.

6.jpg

But if we use format function, it will use the customize format setting.

Format = FORMAT(SUM('Table'[Amount]);"Standard")

4.jpg

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-lid-msft,

Thank you for your response.

Indeed, the display in Power BI does not seem to assume the format setting in the region settings, as I have set the format to Portuguese (Portugal) where the thousands separator is "space", but Power BI still shows the thousands separator as "comma".

Regarding the Format formula, that option is not very suitable for my particular case, as I would need to edit a LOT of formulas.

I am looking for a way to change the thousands separator in a more "bulk" way.

Again, thank you for trying to help.

Best regards.

Hi @Anonymous 

This looks like a bug to me, if you are not running the most up to date version then please upgrade and try again else you can report it as am Issue here.
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

Hi @Anonymous ,

Thank you to point it, We have the same result as yours in both desktop and service, we will try to report and confirm with others, then we will update here if we get anything new.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.