Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI desktop is getting slower and slower

Hi,

Does anybody find the same that PBI desktop is getting slower and slower? I tested a few basic case in Version: 2.82.5858.1161 64-bit (June, 2020).

• Start PBI desktop w/o any model: it took ~1min to show the startup page. 
  • Open a small model (99KB) with blank page (no visual at all): it took 1min 40sec to open and load the model. 
  • Click a measure in above model: it took 20 sec to show the measure in formula bar.
  • Change the measure from Currency to Whole Number (in Measure Tool ribbon). it took 1min 20 sec to complete. however, if I change the 2nd time, e.g. change back to currency, it only took a few sec. Not sure what PBI desktop did for the 1st time as warm up?
  • Add a new measure: it took ~40 sec to show Measure = in formular bar.

I use PBI desktop almost from day 1 and it was used to be quite fast. But seems the newer version with more heavy features made it slower and slower. As above cases shown, most of them are irrelavant to model size. 

With the direction of using PBI desktop as primary modeling tool, this is definitely show-stopper to those people using VS studio for SSAS like me today.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , if you have some old and new stats in the same conditions. please share that.

Make sure your system is not having other apps(running) that are taking away RAM and CPU.

You can get old app link from here to compare -https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-latest-update-archive

View solution in original post

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I had the same issue as you describe ever, while it will be ok when shut down some extra Applications and Service, for example the services of unused SSAS instances. Or you may restart the computer, and try it again.

129.png

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I had the same issue as you describe ever, while it will be ok when shut down some extra Applications and Service, for example the services of unused SSAS instances. Or you may restart the computer, and try it again.

129.png

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , if you have some old and new stats in the same conditions. please share that.

Make sure your system is not having other apps(running) that are taking away RAM and CPU.

You can get old app link from here to compare -https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-latest-update-archive

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.