Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI desktop hangs on relationships when trying to create a new relationship between 2 tables.

I'm trying to create a relationship between 2 tables in Power BI using Direct Query. When I go to the relationships pane and connect 2 rec id columns it seems as though Power BI gets stuck in the relationship window. I have to end task to kill the application before I can get back to the normal design view in Desktop. I've been having this issue for the last 3 versions of Power BI Desktop x64 at least. I was hoping it was just a bug that would eventually get fixed but I suspect there's something more going on. 

One of my tables does not load any data on the preview of the table when building the relationship and I suspect there's something related here, but I don't know that for sure. I did a query in sql to see if there were duplicates on the fields I'm trying to use as my join fields. 

All my research online seems to refer to 2017 and earlier which I don't believe is relevant at this time as the product has changed significantly, but I've looked at it nonetheless. Thank you in advance for any suggestions you can give.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

August update resolved this issue. 

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm trying to create a relationship between 2 tables in Power BI using Direct Query. When I go to the relationships pane and connect 2 rec id columns it seems as though Power BI gets stuck in the relationship window. I have to end task to kill the application before I can get back to the normal design view in Desktop. I've been having this issue for the last 3 versions of Power BI Desktop x64 at least. I was hoping it was just a bug that would eventually get fixed but I suspect there's something more going on. 

One of my tables does not load any data on the preview of the table when building the relationship and I suspect there's something related here, but I don't know that for sure. I did a query in sql to see if there were duplicates on the fields I'm trying to use as my join fields. 

All my research online seems to refer to 2017 and earlier which I don't believe is relevant at this time as the product has changed significantly, but I've looked at it nonetheless. Thank you in advance for any suggestions you can give.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

August update resolved this issue. 

@Anonymous wrote:

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

What data source did you use? Based on my test using sql database. I cannot reproduce your issue here.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-frfei-msft Standard SQL direct query. Nothing special. 

Hi @Anonymous ,

I recommend you to create a support ticket for help if you are a pro user.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.