Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pji
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power BI desktop error "We weren't able to connect to the model" due to regional settings of my PC

I changed my desktop language settings to incorporate the European standards, but immediately after that my Power BI desktop tool stopped working altogether, and started giving the error "We weren't able to connect to the model". It was working fine till then. I tried changing my regional settings, language settings and number format settings to match EU (NL, to be specific) but nothing worked. I even tried reinstalling Power BI several times but in vain.

Then today I changed all the settings back to EN-US along with the number format, and reinstalled PBI desktop. It works fine now. However, this doesn't serve the purpose since my target clients are NL-based, so I need my settings in NL format.

If there is a bug of some kind, then please fix it. If there are some settings which I can make on my end so that PBI desktop works fine, then please let me know.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@pji

This issue should has been fixed in the Aug 2017 version of Power BI Desktop. Please have an update if you are still using the July 2017 version.

Best Regards,
Herbert

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am getting this error now on the latest release -- October 2017.  If anyone has suggestions, please let me know! 

pji
Advocate I
Advocate I

Thanks Herbert, I updated the desktop yesterday and it works fine now 🙂 Thanks.

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@pji

This issue should has been fixed in the Aug 2017 version of Power BI Desktop. Please have an update if you are still using the July 2017 version.

Best Regards,
Herbert

for me BI was working perfect till the AUG 17 Update and now I'm getting this error. =(

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.