Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

soumyas2505
Frequent Visitor

Power BI desktop complains about Microsoft oledb driver not Registered

Hi all,

We are getting the error ,An error happened while reading data from the provider, The MSOLEDBSQL provider is not registered on the local machine Details
DataSourceKind =oledb while opening the Data Source Settings connection string from Power BI desktop.

We already have Microsoft oledb driver 19.0.0 installed on it, Still it complains about it. Also I can see the below error messages in the eventviewer as well.

Error message in eventviewer:

The description for Event ID 25 from source MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace_3c650374-8a53-457c-b66f-b9e3d4839130 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:
msmdsrvi.rll

3 REPLIES 3
soumyas2505
Frequent Visitor

Hi, We did not reinstall power bi desktop, we have reinstalled the oledb driver different version which was working in another servers that helped resolved the issue.

soumyas2505
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your answer, we found installing different version of oledb driver fixed the issue. My another step was to reinstall power BI desktop if this does not works out.

AlexanderPrime
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Have you tried uninstalling then reinstalling PowerBI Desktop? Stereotypical tech answer I know but this error can occur sometimes when the registry keys for that service get a bit jumbled up, a reinstallation usually kicks it back into behaving. 

Personally get this error message 3 times a year and a reinstallation usually does the trick.

Please note - I am not affiliated with Microsoft, I'm just an end user like yourself.
Just a regular guy doin' Data Science.

If my post has helped you, please don't forget to thumbs up or click "Accept as solution" if it solved your problem!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.