Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI deployment for small company

Hello Power BI community,

I work for a small technology consultancy firm and we are tasked with deploying Power BI for one of our smaller clients. They all work from one office and there will be at maximum 10 users (few sales reps and the CEO). All the necessary data is in a Postgres database that is remotely accessible. My plan was to just install Power BI desktop on all of their computer and have them access the reporting that way.

I have a few questions about this:

1. Would they each need their own username to login?
    1. If so, would they all need a Pro license?
  2. Can we still setup different roles to manage what data is visible to what user (row level security)?
  3. Is there an option on Power BI desktop that will only allow for a user to view reports and change filters but nothing else? I don't want a sales rep to start playing around with the reporting. 
  4. How would I, as a consultant, help them to build reporting remotely? I can imagine it can be quite hard to manage version when each time they want an update I have to send them a .pbix file.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could answer these questions. Also, if someone has gone through a similar deployment of Power BI, I would love to hear how you did it.

Thank you in advance! 

Best,

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

After you've created your reports, you can save them to a workspace in the Power BI service, where you and your colleagues collaborate. You build dashboards on top of those reports. Then, you share those dashboards and reports with report consumers inside and outside your organization. Your report consumers view them in the Power BI service in a Reading view, not Editing view. They don't have access to all the features available to report creators. You can also share your datasets and let others build their own reports from them. Read more about collaborating in the Power BI service.

1.Would they each need their own username to login?

It is best to let them each have their own account. No matter which sharing option you choose, to share your content you need a Power BI Pro license, or the content needs to be in a Premium capacity. License requirements vary for the colleagues who view your content, depending on the option you choose.

2.Can we still setup different roles to manage what data is visible to what user (row level security)?

Yes, Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI can be used to restrict data access for given users. Filters restrict data access at the row level, and you can define filters within roles. In the Power BI service, members of a workspace have access to datasets in the workspace. RLS doesn't restrict this data access.

3.Is there an option on Power BI desktop that will only allow for a user to view reports and change filters but nothing else? I don't want a sales rep to start playing around with the reporting. 

Yes, You can set the sales rep as the viewer. For more information, refer to: Roles in the new workspaces.

4.How would I, as a consultant, help them to build reporting remotely? I can imagine it can be quite hard to manage version when each time they want an update I have to send them a .pbix file.

After your report is published to Power BI service, you can set scheduled refresh/ scheduled cache refresh for data refresh.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry to disturb you...

But did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Stephen Tao

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

After you've created your reports, you can save them to a workspace in the Power BI service, where you and your colleagues collaborate. You build dashboards on top of those reports. Then, you share those dashboards and reports with report consumers inside and outside your organization. Your report consumers view them in the Power BI service in a Reading view, not Editing view. They don't have access to all the features available to report creators. You can also share your datasets and let others build their own reports from them. Read more about collaborating in the Power BI service.

1.Would they each need their own username to login?

It is best to let them each have their own account. No matter which sharing option you choose, to share your content you need a Power BI Pro license, or the content needs to be in a Premium capacity. License requirements vary for the colleagues who view your content, depending on the option you choose.

2.Can we still setup different roles to manage what data is visible to what user (row level security)?

Yes, Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI can be used to restrict data access for given users. Filters restrict data access at the row level, and you can define filters within roles. In the Power BI service, members of a workspace have access to datasets in the workspace. RLS doesn't restrict this data access.

3.Is there an option on Power BI desktop that will only allow for a user to view reports and change filters but nothing else? I don't want a sales rep to start playing around with the reporting. 

Yes, You can set the sales rep as the viewer. For more information, refer to: Roles in the new workspaces.

4.How would I, as a consultant, help them to build reporting remotely? I can imagine it can be quite hard to manage version when each time they want an update I have to send them a .pbix file.

After your report is published to Power BI service, you can set scheduled refresh/ scheduled cache refresh for data refresh.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Yes, I saw it and replied back with my availability. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @parry2k Thanks for responding. I just sent you an email. 

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous I don't think the approach you are planning to adopt is going to work especially making sure they don't change the report (except a few things) and RLS. Shoot me an email (it is in my signature) and we can set up a call and walk you thru these initial details.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.