Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nchambe
Advocate II
Advocate II

Power BI column calculation for Next Day amount

My scenario is I have a SharePoint list being pulled into Power BI that gives a gate/visitor count for each day for multiple gates.

I need one calculated column that basically brings in the next day's opening count as today's closing count (for each gate)(ClosingCountGate1=NextDayOpeningCountGate1). Then I'll be able to calculate each day's total (Closing 400,000 opening 375,000 and total 25,000 for example) and create reports based on YTD, growth, most popular gates and days of the week, etc.

Does anyone know of a way using DAX or otherwise to do that? I have a date table, which seems to be useful for these sorts of things. And I've been toying with NEXTDAY but haven't hit it yet.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@nchambe,

In your scenario, you don’t need to involve Date table, just create the following columns in the Gate Count table.

End Count =

var previous= CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK('Gate Count'[OpeningCount],""),FILTER('Gate Count','Gate Count'[Gate]=EARLIER('Gate Count'[Gate])&& 'Gate Count'[Date]>EARLIER('Gate Count'[Date])))

return

IF(ISBLANK(previous),BLANK(), previous)

Change = IF(ISBLANK('Gate Count'[End Count]),BLANK(),'Gate Count'[End Count]-'Gate Count'[OpeningCount])

1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@nchambe ,

Add a column using the DAX below in your date table, make sure your date table have a integer column which is formatted as YYYYMMDD .

Previous day = CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK('Date'[DateInt],""),'Date'[DateKey]=EARLIER('Date'[DateKey])-1)

Then create a measure in your table using DAX below.

NextDayOpeningCountGate = CALCULATE(SUM(table[closingcountgate]),FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[DateInt]=MAX('Date'[Previous day])))

There is a similar thread for your reference, if  you have any questions about the DAX, please share sample data of your table.
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/DAX-Calculation-Total-for-Previous-Work-Day-regardless-of-d...

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft,

I thought this worked, but then upon looking a bit closer noticed it wasn't working. I've spent hours today trying to figure out what needed tweaked with still no luck. The statement doesn't give me an error, but the column is blank.

Scenario: I need to pull TODAY's "Opening Count" (what an entry gate counter is currently at) into YESTERDAY's (or most recent day with data) "End Count" column as seen here. A bonus would be calculating the difference between the opening and ending as seen on the far right column, but I can't get there without the end count pulling in correctly.

gates.PNG

I tried:

EndCount = CALCULATE(SUM('Gate Count'[OpeningCount]),FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[DateInt]=MAX('Date'[Previous day])))

with my date table having the following previous day column:

Previous day = (CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK('Date'[DateInt],""),'Date'[Date]=EARLIER('Date'[Date])-1))

and the following DateInt column:

DateInt = format('Date'[Date],"YYYYMMDD")

Both "Previous day" and "DateInt" in my date table are integers. "OpeningCount" from my gate count table is an integer. "Date" in both tables is, of course, a date column.

@nchambe,

In your scenario, you don’t need to involve Date table, just create the following columns in the Gate Count table.

End Count =

var previous= CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK('Gate Count'[OpeningCount],""),FILTER('Gate Count','Gate Count'[Gate]=EARLIER('Gate Count'[Gate])&& 'Gate Count'[Date]>EARLIER('Gate Count'[Date])))

return

IF(ISBLANK(previous),BLANK(), previous)

Change = IF(ISBLANK('Gate Count'[End Count]),BLANK(),'Gate Count'[End Count]-'Gate Count'[OpeningCount])

1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Perfect! This worked wonderfully. I appreciate it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.