Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI changing promoted header??

I have an excel file that is updated and saved on a weekly basis. Someone else generates and emails this file. 

Everything works great, until I upload next weeks file. 

I save the file, open power BI and hit refresh I get an error "Load was canclled by an error in loading a previous table." 

When I go to look at the query, Power BI has added an applied step and promoted the headers again, so instead of:

AA, BB, CC etc. as the correct headers 

I get Column 1, column 2, etc...

If I delete this applied step everything works fine. I have it set up where the first row  "AA, BB, CC, etc.." are promoted as header.

So how do I stop Power BI from adding this applied step.????

I have (2) excel files that are updated the same way associated with this report and the power BI only does this with this one file. I looked through the excel file and nothing with the rows "Header" has changed

So i'm stuck! 

Thank you for the help! 

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

If the two Excel files have the same format, it should work smoothly. Since refresh just applies the existed steps, I would suggest you check the Excel files. The best practice is formatting the Excel data as Tables. (Select all the data and click the keyboard with "CTRL + T". 

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

V-Jiascu-msft

thanks for the reply. I'm not the owner of the excel file and the data grows each time it's updated. I did check with the (2) versions I have and they are both formatted as tables with the first row as the header. 

Hi @Anonymous,

Though I can't say that's impossible, it's rare to happen. 

Are they two independent queries? Please refer to the snapshot below. Refresh won't add any steps usually. 

Can you share a small sample, please? Maybe it's helpful. 

Power-BI-changing-promoted-header

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.