Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

itchyeyeballs
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Power BI application freeze on refresh - central data model

Does anyone else have an issue where PowerBI freezes when refreshing from a shared dataset?

Several members of my team experience the same intermittent problem, update the central model, save and publish, press refresh on the connected workbook (separate PBIX) and it freezes. The only way to recover is to close the application via task manager and reopen PowerBI. It then refreshes fine (until the next time it happens)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @itchyeyeballs 

thanks for your reply, could you close this thread by kindly accept the answer you think helpful as the solution. so the others can find it more quickly.

if you have question later, you can also add question in this thread or create a new one.

really appreciate!

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _Tang

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @itchyeyeballs 

Are there any error messages when your Desktop freezes? Check the difference between the members experiencing the problem and those not, so that we can analyze the problem further.  and here are my suggestions to find the problem,

1. wait a few minutes after the data source is updated before updating the desktop. 

2. after you update the datasource, close the desktop and reopen it, then hit refresh.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

No error messages, just a complete Freeze, we have left it for several hours but the only way to resolve is by ending the process in task manager.

It's not ideal to have to close before every refresh, we tend to develop incrementally and that would delay the work process quite a bit.

Hi @itchyeyeballs 

thanks for your reply.

yes, it's not ideal to close each time when you refresh. and is there any difference between users who have the problem and those who not? e.g. devices, environment? 

Best Regards,

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Other users have the same setup as myself, Windows 10 laptop (latest PBI version installed via windows app store), no special or exotic configuration. The issue has just happened again

Is there an error log anywhere I can check? 

It almost seems like there is a hidden dialog box or something, the program is not reported as frozen and I can see the memory usage changing in task manager, Just cant get click on anything.

Hi @itchyeyeballs 

you can use Power BI Desktop Trace Logs Analyser, https://ruiromanoblog.wordpress.com/2016/01/08/power-bi-desktop-trace-logs-analyser/

But maybe this problem will not be recorded in log analyzer.

-

you also can consider the minimum requirements of power bi desktop:

vxiaotang_0-1629774517362.png

Best Regards,

Thank you,

We will try the analyser, our laptops are a couple of years old but easily exceed the minimum specs (Core i7, 16GB Ram, Windows 10)

Hi @itchyeyeballs 

thanks for your reply, could you close this thread by kindly accept the answer you think helpful as the solution. so the others can find it more quickly.

if you have question later, you can also add question in this thread or create a new one.

really appreciate!

Best Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.