Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rose__123
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI and power app: Dynamic Row Level Security

Hi

I have a report that should be shared with +20 people, where all of them should only see their own data. But I also want all of them to be able to add data to an excel sheet. 

I have tried to look into different approaches, but the one that seems to come closest is to add a Power App into my report, where it is possible for the recipients to add their data, which then also will be added to an Excel file, that only I have access to. But how do I add the same RLS into the Power App? The recipients should only see their own names in the app (and thus only be able to change their own data). I have already added an app to my report, and as expected the RLS from the report did not affect the view of the app. 

/Katrine

6 REPLIES 6
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,   @Rose__123 

Please check if these posts could help:

Row level Security on Power apps 

Row-level-security-in-Powerapps-based-on-group 

Configure security using table permissions 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Since you already have RLS in your report you can use the identifier field (likely user email) as one of the source fields for the PowerApps visual.

@lbendlin, I tried that, but it does not seem to work. I have made a simple app, with the user-email of the sources, but when when I test a role in Power Bi Desktop, it does not filter the app, but everything else is filtered. 
Do you have any idea why that could be? 

remember that when you test in Power BI Desktop you need to specify BOTH the role to test AND the user email you want to test for.

@lbendlin I also did that and it works for the rest of the report. However, I tried to make the app from inside Power BI by clicking "create app" instead of using the already made app. When doing so, the data was suddenly filtering, however, inside the app I don't get all the data.  I probably have to look more into how to make the app. 

It does not make sense to me, why there should be a difference in whether the app is created one or the other way. Do you know why?

Yes, the standard PowerApp meta data doesn't know about the capability to initiate a PowerBI dataset refresh. I expect this to be corrected in the future.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.