Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI and parents in a hierarchy - Path function

I have a hierarchy list (table Fin Hier) with FH ID and Parent ID plus other columns and would like to provide ability for users to select a FH ID and then see all associated Parent ID(s) up the hierarchy.

I created a Keys table with FH Keys = SUMMARIZE('Fin Hier','Fin Hier'[FH ID]) and linked this to a drop down selector (FH Search).  This Keys table is created because i do not want to filter on the selected value itself but the parents of the selection.  Then created a measure Selected Value = SELECTEDVALUE('FH Keys'[FH ID]) as shown in card below, which all work fine.  

Now I need to use the pathitem function to identify all parents Level1 = pathitem(Paths,1) and then filter FH ID to just these values (1 to 7 levels depending on selection).  This is where I need the help, I can't seem to crack this nut.

Capture.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

You just need to build relationship on 'Fin Hier'[Parent ID] and 'FH Keys'[FH ID].

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure how that helps.

Below i forced the filter manually to simulate the user selecting 1000267847, but this is what i want to display dynamically.

Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.