cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iskono Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Power BI and SQL 2016

will power BI comes as pre installed with MSSQL 2016 ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dave Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Power BI and SQL 2016

Just wanted to add one of the best roadmap links that I've recently seen. It gives a peek into the vision to unify the Microsoft BI experience. 

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dataplatforminsider/2015/10/29/microsoft-business-intelligence-o...

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

I don't think that's how it is going to work. SQL Server 2016 provides some integration hooks with Power BI. For example, there is some SSRS integration with Power BI for reports. If you search around you can find information on it, or just install the current pre-release. Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Community Technology Preview 3.3 (CTP 3.3, build 13.0.1000.281) is the most recent pre-release version available. It was released on February 3, 2016.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Super User
Super User

@iskono It would appear that the two platforms will work nicely together in the long run, but they'll still be different products. From what I've seen at PASS summit and reading you'll be able to use Power BI Desktop in SQL 2016 RS in some way, and as @Greg_Deckler said, also have the ability to use SSRS reports in the PBI Service. 

Near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Dave Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Just wanted to add one of the best roadmap links that I've recently seen. It gives a peek into the vision to unify the Microsoft BI experience. 

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dataplatforminsider/2015/10/29/microsoft-business-intelligence-o...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Back to School Contest

Back to School Contest

Engage and empower students with Power BI!

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Summit Australia 2019

Summit Australia 2019

Travel to Melbourne and network with thousands of peers!

PBI Community Highlights

PBI Community Highlights

Check out what's new in the Power BI Community!

Top Ideas
Users Online
Currently online: 88 members 1,621 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: