Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kowalewski92
Frequent Visitor

Power BI and Nominatim address translation

Hi,

I prepared function for translating latitude and longitude to address (street, city, house number and so on...). Everything is almost OK but sometimes I get an error because house_number is unavailable but my function require it:

https://imgur.com/a/FPSIR

How can I set that this column can be empty?

TY

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You are changing the types of the columns in the last step

= Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"house_number", Int64.Type}, 
{"road", type text}, {"city", type text}, {"postcode", type text}, {"country", type text}})

The problem is that not each coordinate has a house number. so the column does not exists in 
this steps, and it fails. 

So you need to make sure you always have a result for house_number.
You can achieve this by using "adding data", and give blank results for each option
I named the table DefaultValues

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WSs4sqVTSUVKK1YlWKsgvLknOT0mF8ZPzS/NKiuDSGfmlxanxeaW5SalFMLGi/MQUMDsWAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Name = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Name", type text}, {"Value", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Then you can change your function to add these records, and remove the duplicates:

let
AddressLookup = (lat as text, long as text) =>
let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/reverse?format=jsonv2&lat="&lat&"&lon="&long&"")),
address = Source[address],
#"Converted to Table" = Record.ToTable(address),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Converted to Table", each ([Name] = "city" or [Name] = "country" or [Name] = "house_number" or [Name] = "postcode" or [Name] = "road")),
#"Appended Query" = Table.Combine({#"Filtered Rows", DefaultValues}),
#"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"Appended Query", {"Name"}),
#"Transposed Table" = Table.Transpose(#"Removed Duplicates"),
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Transposed Table", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"house_number", Int64.Type}, {"road", type text}, {"city", type text}, {"postcode", type text}, {"country", type text}})
in
#"Changed Type"
in
AddressLookup

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
wimv
Frequent Visitor

In the image the formula is only partialy visible.
Can you copy paste the entire formula?

My function:

let
let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/reverse?format=jsonv2&lat="&lat&"&lon="&long&"")),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Converted to Table", each ([Name] = "city" or [Name] = "country" or [Name] = "house_number" or [Name] = "postcode" or [Name] = "road")),
#"Transposed Table" = Table.Transpose(#"Filtered Rows"),
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Transposed Table", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"house_number", Int64.Type}, {"road", type text}, {"city", type text}, {"postcode", type text}, {"country", type text}})
in
#"Changed Type"
in
AddressLookup

You are changing the types of the columns in the last step

= Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"house_number", Int64.Type}, 
{"road", type text}, {"city", type text}, {"postcode", type text}, {"country", type text}})

The problem is that not each coordinate has a house number. so the column does not exists in 
this steps, and it fails. 

So you need to make sure you always have a result for house_number.
You can achieve this by using "adding data", and give blank results for each option
I named the table DefaultValues

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WSs4sqVTSUVKK1YlWKsgvLknOT0mF8ZPzS/NKiuDSGfmlxanxeaW5SalFMLGi/MQUMDsWAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Name = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Name", type text}, {"Value", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Then you can change your function to add these records, and remove the duplicates:

let
let
#"Appended Query" = Table.Combine({#"Filtered Rows", DefaultValues}),
#"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"Appended Query", {"Name"}),
#"Transposed Table" = Table.Transpose(#"Removed Duplicates"),
in
#"Changed Type"
in
AddressLookup

Thank you!

I have an error  - The remote server returned an error: (429) Too Many Requests.

Maybe do you know how to solve it?

You are using a free service, so limitation exists on their site.

https://operations.osmfoundation.org/policies/nominatim/

Requirements
No heavy uses (an absolute maximum of 1 request per second).
Provide a valid HTTP Referer or User-Agent identifying the application (stock User-Agents as set by http libraries will not do).
Clearly display attribution as suitable for your medium.
Data is provided under the ODbL license which requires to share alike (although small extractions are likely to be covered by fair usage / fair dealing).

How to set 1 req per sec?? Is it possible?

You can add delays, this is already explained in the following topic:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/API-call-limit-introduce-delay/td-p/362...

I have no idea how to do it... Maybelline to can help?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.