Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LillyD
Frequent Visitor

Power BI XML import failing when created from using Exchange Online Powershell command

Hi,

I am trying to use power BI to do some reporting on Diagnostic errors from Exchange Online using the Exchange Online Powershell Module.  I have succesfully exported the information from the EOL Powershell using the following command 

get-moverequest xxx | get-moverequeststatistics -includereport Get-MoveRequestStatistics xxx -IncludeReport -DiagnosticInfo verbose | Export-Clixml xxxmove_report.xml.

But when I try and import the XML file it doesnt show the information correctly see the two screen shots below.  The 3rd and final screen shot from MS Books XML example file which is correct. The look of the Navigator Screen is different between the 2 files, which could be that Power BI cannot read the Exchange Exported XML, I have tried exporting it with Different Versions and all have the same result.

I havent tried a standard XML export from Powershell though as this will not be any use to us as we have to use the EOL PS 

Thank in advance 

Part Extract of the Exchange XML File

js Version="1.1.0.1" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/powershell/2004/04">
<Obj RefId="0">
<TN RefId="0">
<T>Deserialized.Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService.MoveRequestStatistics</T>
<T>Deserialized.Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService.RequestStatisticsBase</T>
<T>Deserialized.Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService.RequestJobBase</T>
<T>Deserialized.Microsoft.Exchange.Data.DiagnosticsConfigurableObject</T>
<T>Deserialized.Microsoft.Exchange.Data.ConfigurableObject</T>
<T>Deserialized.System.Object</T>
</TN>
<ToString>1234568</ToString>
<Props>
<Obj N="MailboxIdentity" RefId="1">
<TN RefId="1">
<T>Deserialized.Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.ADObjectId</T>
<T>Deserialized.Microsoft.Exchange.Data.ObjectId</T>
<T>Deserialized.System.Object</T>
</TN>

Power BI XML Import Screen when using the Exchange PS created XML File 

XMLImport.png

After Clicking on OK

XMLImport1.png

MS Books Example XML File,

Note the different look

Books.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi LillyD,

Maybe this post is the same issue with yours: https://www.myonlinetraininghub.com/excel-forum/power-query/xml-encoding-not-accepted-on-import. In addtion, could you transform your xml file to json because Json file can be recognized more correctly by power bi.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi LillyD,

Maybe this post is the same issue with yours: https://www.myonlinetraininghub.com/excel-forum/power-query/xml-encoding-not-accepted-on-import. In addtion, could you transform your xml file to json because Json file can be recognized more correctly by power bi.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.