Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI - Using DAX, how can I check which Role (from Row Level Security) the user is using?

Hi,

I have created four Roles (Full Company, North, South East, and South West) via Row Level Security. The way this RLS will be implemented is by assinging the user email address (userprincipalname) in the Power BI Service against the Role. When a user logs in using their userprincipalname the correct Role will be assigned to the user and thus they can only see their granted data.

I would like to know if there is a way, using DAX, to check which Role name (i.e. Full Company, North, South East, or South West) is being used - what would be the DAX to achieve this?

My aim is to provide a tailored message, via a card or another visual, that will instruct the user based on the role being used. For example, is the North Role is being used when viewing the report then a message like "This North region will show you.....", or if the South East Role is being used a message like "The South East region incorporates...".  I suspect a Switch function will be require but the key thing is using DAX to check which Role is being used by the user.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @judspud - thanks for your response but I have it all sorted now.
I was overthinking it. I simply used the SELECTEDVALUE function on the table that the Role (RLS) was applied against.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
judspud
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @Anonymous 

How are you implementing the RLS? i.e. which table/field are you using to filter the data?

Also, can a user be part of multiple roles?

Thanks,

George

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @judspud - thanks for your response but I have it all sorted now.
I was overthinking it. I simply used the SELECTEDVALUE function on the table that the Role (RLS) was applied against.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.