Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MrPowerBIPro
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI Template Licence Protected

Hello,

I want to sell my .pbix desktop file to multiple company. Is there any way to protected by licence or something to protected my property?

In other words, If another one wants to use my file, They MUST have a licence from me?

Any suggestion please?

Thanks

Mostafa

Enemy of can't
www.mrpowerbi.pro
11 REPLIES 11
Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Power BI Desktop is totally free version . I think u know that very well.

so we can't security for that dude . sorry.

i suggest u go with live connection, the reason is without the source conection no one can access your data right ?

That is the security we have in Desktop upto my little knowledge .

Hi @Baskar,

I got your point, but his intention is commercialization his layout/desgining of reports. I'm thinking this idea is possible in custom visual perspective cause i know Narratives Science company that they are selling one custom control in MS Azure Marketplace MS Azure Marketplace

@MrPowerBIProplease check this approach by build up custom visual instead of content pack or you could create idea to request this feature for content pack.

@tringuyenminh92@MrPowerBIPro

For commercialization of your design, you may consider build it into solution template. For more details, please see: Accelerate Power BI deployments with solution templates.

For any questions related to Power BI Solution, you can post it on its community: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-BI-Solution-Templates/Welcome-to-the-Power-BI-solution-templa...

Regards,

Hi.

Thanks for your response. This was really helpful. Unfortunately the link you shared doesn't seem to be working for me. This is the link to the documentation / further info around Solution templates. Please may you confirm the link still works. It just might be that l dont have enough privileges 

@v-sihou-msft

Thansk for your reply. I don't Understand how to build my template file that nobody access design!

In the QlikView software, you can protect desktop file. I am sure many engineer like me wants to sell own designs. please help me how to achieve this! The links that you sent didn't help me enough to start my job! 

Enemy of can't
www.mrpowerbi.pro

Ya i agrre with u in Qlikview . BUt in POwer BI Desktop is Totally free Software, then how can we secure the files ?

Suppose if the Product have lincensed version  like tableau or Qlik mean we will ask the question with Microsoft. Now we can't right ?

This is make sense ?

Correct me if am wrong  

Maybe I should correct my word. Licence that I said meaning password or something that you can set it on desktop version!

You can imagine that I could set a password or something that a one .pbix can publish on "Only on domain"! Then if anybody wants use this file to publish for any use, he can't! Did you get it what I mean?

I this way, He MUST ask me a password or something to publish this file to another domain!

Regards

Mosafa

Enemy of can't
www.mrpowerbi.pro

Ya i agree with you dude . Cheers !!!

We need protection for your Pbix . hmmm good .

Create this idea in Power BI Idea Portal i wil vote for u my dear friend

@Baskar@tringuyenminh92@BhaveshPatel@v-sihou-msft

@Baskar Thanks for your comment. I created the idea. 

Please vote my idea:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/17584204-power-bi-desktop-protect...

Thanks all

Enemy of can't
www.mrpowerbi.pro
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@MrPowerBIPro

It's not supported to secure offline .pbix file. It can be accessed by any user.

Regards,

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Unfortunatly not.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.