Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JOSEPIVIDAL
Frequent Visitor

Power BI - Snowflake Direct Query Too Slow

Hi,

I am using the Direct Query Mode with the SnowFlake connector to query a 650M rows & 50 Columns database.

I am getteing serious performance issues to load visuals on Power Bi, with a Matrix of 30 calculated fields taking up to 15 minutes to load. 

JOSEPIVIDAL_2-1605220160460.png

Looking into the Snowflake "history" of querys, I see that the problem seems to be that Snowflake is receiving / Power BI Sending the queries one after the order, so when I refresh a visual, SF receives a sequence hundres of queries in blocks of 2 / 3 per second. All of them seem to get calculated in mileseconds, but as they get in blocks of 3 (per second) it takes for ages. I have Large Datawarehouse with 8 clusters, which is supposed to be more than enough, in fact no more than 2 clusters have ever been needed, that makes me think the problem is coming from Power Bi.

JOSEPIVIDAL_3-1605220304918.png

These are the settings I have in Power BI:

JOSEPIVIDAL_4-1605220401077.png

I also have enabled the Parralel loading of tables option.

Tried to look everywhere for this issue, but still have not turn a good datables into a good analysis tool because of this.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jose

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I'm having the same issue here. Did you find a solution for this? Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, did you guys have a solution for the problem?. I landed in a similar issue

Thank you

Pavan

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@JOSEPIVIDAL , Avoid bidirectional joins. Keep only required visual on the page

refer to these Guidelines: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/directquery-model-guidance

refer  :https://www.thebiccountant.com/speedperformance-aspects/

Thanks for your help @amitchandak but I am trying to find out why is Snowflake getting those queries' start time with that sequence of 2/3 queries per second, that seems to be the reason for making all the process so slow as snowflake itself seems to process the data very quickly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.