Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Service-option missing from the Data Sources menu in PBI Desktop

Hey,

I have succesfully created and published a report for our HR department which has a rather long and complex ETL process where it calculates personnel changes through the last few years. The report updates automatically on the PBI service and appears to be fully functional in all aspects. I'm currently working on a P&L report and I'd like to add the headcount figures to calculate revenue per person. I figured I might simply connect to the existing HR report and pull the data I need to avoid making the P&L's reload more complex than it needs to be. However, when I tried to access the HR report through the data sources I found out that the Power BI Service is not available in the data sources menu. It simply isn't there. The closest one I get is the Power BI Dataflows beta which apparently cannot use a Power BI report as a datasource or at least no such option was available when I tried creating a dataflow to bypass my problem.

I tried following this tutorial Step-by-step for using the Power BI service live connectio... but the Power BI Service option shown here simply isn't visible anywhere in the menus. All the other options seem to be there.

Any ideas? Do I need to enable it somewhere? I am running February 2019 release of the PBI Desktop and I suppose our tenant ought to keep itself updated automatically. Below are the options I get when searching the available data sources for 'power'. I browsed through the available options and nothing similar to Power BI Service was available.

This is what I getThis is what I get

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-jiascu-msft , @Anonymous 

As we know , Power BI dataset acts as a Live Connection, Anyways, We can't perform any transformation using Power Query Editor.

Becasue of this , they have removed this from Edit Queries-> Get Data-> Power BI.

Any idea?

Regards,
Amit

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.