Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

shashank
Helper III
Helper III

Power BI Service missing in desktop version

power bi service.PNG

Hi team i'm not able to see power BI service in my desktop version any idea ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think that you are thinking too much in Tableau and not enough in Power BI. Measures are context aware. So, if you create a measure like:

Total = SUM([Sales])

And you want a level of detail of year. Just place this measure into a visual along with Year. If you want a level of detail of customer, just place the measure into a visual along with Customer. There is no need to create LOD expressions for each individual dimension that you want your level of detail at because measures do this automagically via context.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
dharland
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Issue still exists in current version. There is no preview feature for connecting to the Power BI service and it is no longer available to select as a data source.

@dharland,

I just opened a blank file 30 seconds ago and it's in the "most common" dropdown as well as the menu.

Are you running the latest Power BI Desktop version? (Version: 2.57.5068.501 64-bit (April 2018))

b.PNG

c.PNG

Actually it is available under the Get Data dropdown when viewing from the Report view, Data view, or Relationships view.  But it is NOT listed anywhere when selecting Edit Queries (query editor), then New Source, which is the way I always add data sources.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

File | Options and settings | Options | Preview features | Power BI Service Live Connection

Latest book!:

Thans for your reply, i found that.wanted to check few more things

1-can we do data modelling and creating new measures in power BI online  ?

2-is there any limitations when we use postgresql as back end in power bi

3-can we create level of calculation in power bi which are similar to LOD of Tableau ?

1 - No

2 - No limitations that I am aware of

3 - Legion of Doom? Look of Disapproval? Seriously though, those are called Measures in Power BI.

Latest book!:

can you share some references or learning material where LOD(in tableau) or level of calculation has been used ?

I think that you are thinking too much in Tableau and not enough in Power BI. Measures are context aware. So, if you create a measure like:

Total = SUM([Sales])

And you want a level of detail of year. Just place this measure into a visual along with Year. If you want a level of detail of customer, just place the measure into a visual along with Customer. There is no need to create LOD expressions for each individual dimension that you want your level of detail at because measures do this automagically via context.

Latest book!:

Hi @shashank

Did you turn on the preview feature ?

Open Power BI Desktop > File > Settings > Preview Features > Tick Power BI Service > Relaunch Power BI Deskop

Just found thanks.

can we do data modelling and creating new measures in power BI online  ?

Will you please accept the answer as a solution so all members can quickly identify how to solve this small issue ?

Thanks.

As far as I know Power BI Online service currently doesn't support creating measure or doing data modeling. You have to use Power BI Desktop.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.