Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

daandamhuis
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power BI Service Connector Bug.

Hi All, 

I installed the lastest version of the Power BI Desktop and I noticed that everytime I select the Power BI Service data connector it automaticly switches the SSAS connector after selecting a Power BI Service source. This means that I cannot switch from a test source to a production source. 

Version: 2.50.4859.782 64-bit (september 2017)

With kind regards, 

Daan Damhuis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @daandamhuis,

According to my test, the issue is gone in the latest Version: 2.52.4921.581 64-bit (November 2017). You can try it out.

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

@daandamhuis,

Hi Daan Damhuis,

It's a live connection, which is just similar with SSAS live connection. You can reference powerbi-desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets/#limitations-and-considerations for details.

>>>Since this is a live connection, left-navigation and modeling are disabled, similar to the behavior when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services.

According to my test, it's easy to switch the data source. Open the connector, select the new dataset you want. Done.Power BI Service Connector Bug.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This doesn't work in my version. 

If i select the Power BI Online Service connector, it automaticly changes the connection type to a SSAS Live connection. So when I publish the report, it automaticly creates a new data source. Which is not the desired effect, and beside that I cannot change to a datasource in an other workspace. So when I publish from Acceptance to Production, it creates another data source in the production workspace.

In the end, I have 12 PBI data sources in the workspace for two cubes.

Hi @daandamhuis,

1. Is your original data source SSAS?

2. Why do you switch the dataset from one to another? We can say the connector Power BI Service aims at sharing a single dataset. Why not create reports based on the production dataset?

3. Could you please post some snapshots?

Best Regards!

Dale

FYI, this worked before in de August Version. 

1. Is your original data source SSAS?

Yes, Tabular. 

2. Why do you switch the dataset from one to another?

Deploy the same report to several workspaces and just have 1 data source for 1 SSAS Cube in each workspace instead of having serveral because each time a Data Set doesn't exists with the report name, Power BI just creates a new one (See 4). 

We can say the connector Power BI Service aims at sharing a single dataset. Why not create reports based on the production dataset? <= Because we do User Acceptance tests of Model and Reports in a specific Workspace / App before deployed these to the production envoironment. 

3. Could you please post some snapshots?

1) Get Data - Power BI Service1) Get Data - Power BI Service2) Select Data Source - Power BI Service2) Select Data Source - Power BI Service3) Connected - Live Connection to SSAS instead of Power BI Online3) Connected - Live Connection to SSAS instead of Power BI Online4) Report Deployed - New Data Source Created instead of using the TST data source that I pointed to in the "Get Data"4) Report Deployed - New Data Source Created instead of using the TST data source that I pointed to in the "Get Data"

No one has a solution or the same issue?

Hi @daandamhuis,

I tested it again today. It works in Power BI Desktop July as the documentation describes. I will submit a report at once. The workaround could be creating reports in the Service. Sorry for any inconvenience. Any updates will be posted here.

Best Regards!

Dale

Hi @daandamhuis,

According to my test, the issue is gone in the latest Version: 2.52.4921.581 64-bit (November 2017). You can try it out.

Best Regards!

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.