Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kwonsok
Frequent Visitor

Power BI SSH Tunneling

Hi,

I am currently using the free version of Power BI in Windows 10.

Please let me know how to query data from a MySQL database with SSH tunneling.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
ptacquet
Frequent Visitor

It's possible to do it.

But you need to open a ssh tunnel with a tool like putty and forwarding ports.

It worked for me following this tuto

https://www.a2hosting.com/kb/developer-corner/mysql/remote-mysql-connections

Hey @ptacquet, Can you help me. I am struck in same boat. We have got bastion server firewall between MySQL server which needs to be accessed through ssh with VPN using pem/ppk files. I have been able to connect trough putty. In putty, i can see the databases etc through ssh. But i am not able to get database connected to powerbi. I am missing some forwarding ports stuff i think. Can you help me with some lead/clues

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kwonsok

Based on my research , Power BI does not support a MySQL database with SSH tunneling.

There is a similar idea about this issue, please vote it up.

MySQL over SSH connection

Additionaly, please read the discussion under it, someone provided a workaround.

Best regards

Maggie

MaxW
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi Kwonsok,

I am not aware of a way to configure two stage authentication in powerBI (I.e SSH into server and login to database). I had a similar requirement to query a PostgreSQL database on a headless linux server, which required using a SSH key file.

If there's a better way I'd like to know myself, but the workaround I used was to use the PuTTY command line tools 'plink' and 'pscp' in a daily job to populate a .csv file with my query and transfer it to my reporting server. You could use the .csv file as is, but I have another job to import the .csv into a SQL Server table.

I did consider trying to make a linked server but I had spent enough time already and I only needed one query. It works well although obviously not great for large amounts of data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.