Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Row Level Security Help

I need some help with some Row Level Security DAX formulas in Power BI.

I have a list of Customers below and a filter selection.  Some users can see all the data, and some users can only see part of the data. 

Let's say I'm Customer A.  Customer A can see everything on the Customer and Performance column, but the Root Cause and Sales fields need to be blank.

3.PNG

Example of secuirty for selecting Customer A. Notice the blank rows.

4.PNG

To do this I tried relating two tables then writing some DAX filtering expressions using Manage Roles.  However it seams the Manage Roles feature only let's you filter out data and I end up loosing all of the other values.

5.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I ended up doing was using a SWITCH function.  I created a new column for each role, then a Measure to Switch between the columns depending on the role.

Measure = SWITCH(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Switch]),"A",MAX(Security[Root_Cause_A]),"B",MAX(Security[Root_Cause_B]),MAX(Security[Root Cause]))

Here is what the Switch table looks like.  I then assign role level secuirty to select a single row in the Switch table.

1.PNG

Here is what the table looks like viewing as Customer B.  Notice how the Measure field is blank for all Customers except Customer B.

2.PNG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AiolosZhao
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @Anonymous ,

As you know, it's "Row" level security.

You want to show blank in column value for different customers.

I think you can try to make it in DAX, something like:

measure = if(username() = "A", if(customer_name = username(),customer_name,blank()))

Aiolos Zhao

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

What I ended up doing was using a SWITCH function.  I created a new column for each role, then a Measure to Switch between the columns depending on the role.

Measure = SWITCH(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Switch]),"A",MAX(Security[Root_Cause_A]),"B",MAX(Security[Root_Cause_B]),MAX(Security[Root Cause]))

Here is what the Switch table looks like.  I then assign role level secuirty to select a single row in the Switch table.

1.PNG

Here is what the table looks like viewing as Customer B.  Notice how the Measure field is blank for all Customers except Customer B.

2.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.