Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

shamsuddeenvp
Post Patron
Post Patron

Power BI Report server - Issue with deploying power bi report

Dear,

I am trying Power BI Report server, configuration done and able to access the report server urla s well.

However when I try to save/deploy the pbix file into the server I am getting the below error

"an error while attempting to save the report to power bi" Please find below the atatched screenshots as well.

BR,

Shams

ReportServerPBI.pngReportErrorDeploy.png

48 REPLIES 48

I'm facing the exact same problem. Created a basic report in Power BI Desktop, and can't upload it to the PBI Report Server...

Data analytics supporter !

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft, is it possible you can share or PM an email I can send the logs to? The full logs contain environment infomation that I can't share publicly. I have tried uninstalling \ reinstalling the PBI Report Server and still the issue remains.

@AFo As it contains sensitive information, you can send me the private message with log files.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi all,

I got the information from escalation engineer, please follow below steps to troubleshoot the issue:

In the RSPowerBI log-

2017-05-23 11:25:32.1561|FATAL|1|Could not start PBIXSystem.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Net.HttpListenerException: Access is denied

at System.Net.HttpListener.AddAllPrefixes()

at System.Net.HttpListener.Start()

at Microsoft.Owin.Host.HttpListener.OwinHttpListener.Start(HttpListener listener, Func`2 appFunc, IList`1 addresses, IDictionary`2 capabilities, Func`2 loggerFactory)

at Microsoft.Owin.Host.HttpListener.OwinServerFactory.Create(Func`2 app, IDictionary`2 properties)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

This seems to point to a URL registration issue. This could be caused by a couple scenarios:

1. Permissions
    1. The PBI service account does not have permissions to write new HTTP reservations.
      1. We can test this by changing the PowerBI sever account to be an admin account via the configuration manager and restarting the service
  1. Conflicting reservation
    1. Does the user have another instance of SSRS installed on this server? If so do the URLs configured conflict at all?

The next thing I would try would be to test a normal SSRS report to see if all reports are unable to upload or only PBIX reports. I have attached a simple report with no datasource, please see if they are able to upload the report. Beyond Power BI report server log we could gather a Procmon of them attempting to upload to see where the denial is occurring.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me, when I removed the https certificate binding, I was able to upload a PBIX report.

However this is not a desired long term fix!

How do you add a NETWORK SERVICE or Virtual Account to local administrators group in Windows Server 2016 and is this best practice?

Capture.JPGIn RS configure manager use admin acount

Hi all,

Please try @mgmeyer's suggestion to see if it works.

@AFo@Anonymous I have sent your questions to escalated engineer, will update to you once I get feedback.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft !

Tested the approach suggested by @mgmeyer but it keeps failing.

Hi @biswedishdevil,

Can you share the PBIReportserver log files ( Default: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\LogFiles) at that time with us?

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

This is the error message I get:

RSPortal!reportserverwebapp!4a!06/01/2017-10:48:27:: e ERROR: OData exception occurred: System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.ODataWebApi.Utils.PbixReportHelper.ValidateRenderingIsSupportedAndSetProperties(PowerBIReport entity, Uri requestUri, ILogger logger)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.ODataWebApi.V2.Controllers.CatalogItemsController.ValidatePbiReportRenderingIsSupportedAndSetProperties(PowerBIReport item, Uri requestUri)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.ODataWebApi.V2.Controllers.CatalogItemsController.AddEntity(CatalogItem entity, CatalogItem& createdEntity)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.ODataWebApi.Controllers.Reflection.EntitySetReflectionODataController`1.Post(ODataPath oDataPath, T value)
at lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object[] )
at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass10.<GetExecutor>b__9(Object instance, Object[] methodParameters)
at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ExecuteAsync(HttpControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 arguments, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ApiControllerActionInvoker.<InvokeActionAsyncCore>d__0.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ActionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__2.MoveNext()
at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ExceptionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__0.MoveNext(). | RequestID = s_929b6ff7-8515-42d7-b203-51bd46c8366a
RSPortal!reportserverwebapp!51!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally Re-Installing worked for us.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We are getting this error.

Tried everything.

Changed the service account from virtual to network service.

Added Network service account as Admin.

Then Changed to Other Admin Domain account.

Ceated Firewall rules.

Nothing works.

The error you are seeing now is differant than the original error that was reported. When you look in the config tool which account do you have set for the Service Account, is it a built-in account or are you specifying a specific account? Also do you have both SQL Server 2017 and PowerBI Report Server installed SxS? Thanks!

Hi Guys,

I recently installed a PBIRS Instance (CTP) and SQL 2017 on the same virtual machine in order to try out the new PBIRS and create/deploy some sample PBIX reports to this on-prem PBI server. I'm running into the same problem as rest of the people here. Everytime I create a PBIX report using the June 2017 version of PBI Desktop and try to deploy to on-prem PBIRS instance, I am presented with a very generic error message. When I dig in to the RS log files, this is what I see:-

--------------------------------------------------------------------

2017-06-19 16:13:41.6659|INFO|1|Setting Symmetric Key
2017-06-19 16:13:41.6779|INFO|1|Setting up Hosted Process State
2017-06-19 16:13:41.6779|INFO|1|CFG : rsConfigFilePath = [C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\ReportServer\rsreportserver.config] (env)
2017-06-19 16:13:41.6779|INFO|1|Attempting to read Configuration from file C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\ReportServer\rsreportserver.config -> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\ReportServer\rsreportserver.config
2017-06-19 16:13:41.9550|FATAL|1|Could not start PBIXSystem.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Net.HttpListenerException: Access is denied
   at System.Net.HttpListener.AddAllPrefixes()
   at System.Net.HttpListener.Start()
   at Microsoft.Owin.Host.HttpListener.OwinHttpListener.Start(HttpListener listener, Func`2 appFunc, IList`1 addresses, IDictionary`2 capabilities, Func`2 loggerFactory)
   at Microsoft.Owin.Host.HttpListener.OwinServerFactory.Create(Func`2 app, IDictionary`2 properties)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Is there a patch for PBIRS I can download in order to fix this issue? I read through the responses from Msft team here in this thread and I concluded that they have a patch to fix this without me having to change some settings/service accounts on the server?

Hey Muqadderlqbal, the GA version of Power BI Report Server has a fix for this issue however you can fix it with the May preview versions of both SQL 2017 and PBIRS as well. If you read my previous post it has the steps to clean this up:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Power-BI-Report-server-Issue-with-deploying-power-bi-report/...

Let me know if this doesn't work for you.

Matt M.

HI,

is this solution still relevant??

My System: Win10pro64, SQL Server 2016, Power-BI Aug.

I can open the page of the report server ... but I am not able to upload any reports, not from Desktop and also not from PBIDRS.

I also tryed to solver my issue following you advicees .... but no succsess

Do you have a hint for me .... 🙂

greetings

mutohman

Good day

After an upgrade, I cannot run from URL. I tested the "Data Sources" connection using my own credentials. Now I got

"

An error has occurred.

Something went wrong. Please try again later.

"

Where are the log files located ? On Server or on my local ? If local, on c drive or d drive ?

Thanks,

Timmy

After following your steps, I was able to connect to PBIRS and successfully publish the PBIX reports to my local server. Now I am running in to another problem trying to connect to this on-prem PBI Report Server via the PBI Mobile app. It fails while connecting, throwing an error message that says the target server is not a SQL 2016 server. Are mobile apps for PBI not supported for on-prem hosting?

Also, can you link me to the GA version of PBI Report Server download page? I believe I downloaded my current instance from the PBI home page (the try PBIRS now option) and I still encountered the issue you said was fixed in GA version.

Much thanks for yur help so far!

Thanks to everyone for providing the info and reporting the issue, we've found the problem and have implemented a fix for the next release. The problem has to do with a default URL reservation happening on a specific port during setup and later when configuring the server with a differant port that specific URL is not changed. In order to fix the issue you can do the following:

1. Run the RSConfigTool, should be in the install folder under Shared Tools

2. Connect to the PowerBI instance that is having the issue

3. Navigate to the 'Web Portal URL' tab

4. Click the Advanced button

5. Remove the URL reservation for Report Manager

6. Click OK

7. Open the Advanced configuration again

8. Re-add the Port configuration you had before

9 Click Apply

Let me know if you still run into problems. Thanks!

Good morning,

Uploading a normal paginated SSRS Report works fine. It's only happening with .pbix to me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.