Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CaveOfWonders
Helper IV
Helper IV

Power BI Report Server without SQL Database

Hi All,

I have a client who wants their Power BI reporting to be on Premises. I am aware that there are two options in terms of licensing (Power BI Premium or SQL Server Enterprise Edition with Software Assurance).

Question 1: If we purchase a Power BI Premium License, do we still need to buy/set up a SQL Server Database?

Question 2: The source of their data is SharePoint lists (also on prem). Can this be connected to with the report server version of Power BI Desktop? If we are connecting to SharePoint lists do we still need a SQL server database if we choose the Premium route?

Question 3: I'm wondering, why purchase premium if you need to purchase SQL anyway, or have I misunderstood the setup?

Thank you

CoW

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @CaveOfWonders ,

1. SQL server is a data source with its own copy of server files, databases and security credentials, while Power BI report server is used to connect with SQL server to create reports.

And the capacity of power bi premium will only affect the Power BI report server, not the Sql server, so we also need to set up the SQL Server database.

2. As far as I know, The data in sharepoint server is stored in the sql server database, then you can connect to the SQL data source in RS desktop to select the corresponding sharepoint server database, and then create reports and upload to PBI report server,then set schedule refresh.

3. You don't need to buy SQL Server, you need to create a SQL instance in it to use it.

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @CaveOfWonders ,

1. SQL server is a data source with its own copy of server files, databases and security credentials, while Power BI report server is used to connect with SQL server to create reports.

And the capacity of power bi premium will only affect the Power BI report server, not the Sql server, so we also need to set up the SQL Server database.

2. As far as I know, The data in sharepoint server is stored in the sql server database, then you can connect to the SQL data source in RS desktop to select the corresponding sharepoint server database, and then create reports and upload to PBI report server,then set schedule refresh.

3. You don't need to buy SQL Server, you need to create a SQL instance in it to use it.

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

CaveOfWonders
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi Amit,

Thank you for your reply, however, that doesn't answer either of my questions.

@CaveOfWonders , Sorry, But you are checking for on premise reporting server?

What I got from Licensing. That if we go for a premium, you have that Hybrid option available, which is not there in SQL Server Enterprise edition. Also if do need SQL server, you can opt for another license

"Power BI Report Server is available through two different licenses: Power BI Premium and SQL Server Enterprise Edition with Software Assurance. See Microsoft Volume Licensing for details. With a Power BI Premium license, you can create a hybrid deployment mixing cloud and on-premises.

If you publish Power BI reports to Power BI Report Server, you also need a Power BI Pro license. You don't need a Power BI Pro license to view and interact with Power BI reports on Power BI Report Server."

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@CaveOfWonders , I think you are looking for Power bi on premise Server. It has two option premuium and with SQL server

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/report-server/

If you want SQL server to then prefer to go for that license mode, else you need separate license. You can discuss option with microsoft partner or sales.

I have edited my original question to try and make it clearer as my question still stands and am shifting it to the correct forum.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.