Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EminCemberlitas
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Report Builder doesn`t work with Power BI Data Sets

Hello guys,

I use Power BI Report Builder to create a report from a Power BI Data Set (I don't have any other data source).

Now when I use a Power Bi Data Set, which consists of only one table, the report works.

However, when I use Data Sets with multiple tables that are linked together, the report loads all the time but doesn't show me anything. In the query designer, everything is displayed as usual.

Did any of you have similar problems?

5 REPLIES 5
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

@EminCemberlitas ,

I can't reproduce this issue when testing with a dataset with two simple tables. Could you share me some details to help troubleshooting the issue?

1. What's the version of your Power BI Report Builder? Have you tried the latest one: 15.7.01796.0001.

2. What's the amount of data? Will this issue still appear with reduced data volumes?

3. Please check if datetime field is casted as character.

Reference: SSRS Error: Cannot read the next data row for dataset Dataset1 | Kirukkal a.k.a Scribbling (wordpres...

4. Do you create parameters in your report?

Reference: ssrs 2008 - Cannot read the next data row for the dataset 'Dataset3',Conversion Failed when converti...

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Icey,

1. My Power BI Report Builder version is:
Due to my company, only can download PB RB through Windows Store, I can only use this version
2.The dataset has a size of 44mb, with the query designer I was able to display everything and the replay for one table also worked without problems. Only if I want to play more than one table, it does not work, or it loads infinitely long.

3.the DateTime field is normal in format date

4. parameters I have, but even if I try it without parameters, it comes to these problems ...

Hi @EminCemberlitas ,

I have tested again via Power BI Report Builder installed from Microsoft Store. But I still can't reproduce your issue.

If you have Power BI Pro/PPU/Premium license, I suggest you create a support ticket to get further help.

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,

Icey

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@EminCemberlitas , I have created a report in report builder with power bi dataset and it works. Just check if you dragged columns from joined tables

@amitchandak after a long loading time I get the following message when running the report:

Unexpected end of file during syntax analysis of Name. Line 1, position -1290872069.
----------------------------
The server sent a response that is not recognized.
Cannot read the next data row for the dataset 'DataSet1'.
An error has occurred during report processing.
Error occurred during local report processing.

do you have any idea where the problem is?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.