Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Refresh

Hello. 

I have turned on the preview features in my Power BI Desktop settings for auto refresh, however the Visualizations tab does not contain the option to set a refresh range.   In fact, "page refresh" does not show up at all? Help please. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ok. I'm not sure what that means. A direct connection to SQL Server, a Direct Query for to SQL server, a hand-crafted SQL query in the advanced box?

There are two basic kinds of reports. Import, which is what most are, and that is the default. You cannot switch an Import model to Direct Query. Then Direct Query, which is much less common and for specific circumstances. It has a number of limitations. You have to deliberatly check the DQ box when building a new report in a new file to get that to work. As long as you have permissions to the SQL server, that is all you need, but of course the gateway has to be set up so the service can access the server. That is needed for import (scheduled refresh) and direct query.

The new page refresh is only for Direct Query.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
edhans
Super User
Super User

That is only for Direct Query. Is that what you are referring to? Scheduled Refresh is what you need for Import models, which is what 95% of your models should be. Direct Query is for very specific needs.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi - thanks for the reply. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-automatic-page-refresh  This is what I was looking at. 

Yes. 2nd para on that page. Direct Query sources. You have to connect to a database that support direct query (SQL Server for example), have to write your report to only use functions and formulas that DQ reports support.

What is your database?

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is a direct SQL query to an external dataset I have zero control over. 

Ok. I'm not sure what that means. A direct connection to SQL Server, a Direct Query for to SQL server, a hand-crafted SQL query in the advanced box?

There are two basic kinds of reports. Import, which is what most are, and that is the default. You cannot switch an Import model to Direct Query. Then Direct Query, which is much less common and for specific circumstances. It has a number of limitations. You have to deliberatly check the DQ box when building a new report in a new file to get that to work. As long as you have permissions to the SQL server, that is all you need, but of course the gateway has to be set up so the service can access the server. That is needed for import (scheduled refresh) and direct query.

The new page refresh is only for Direct Query.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.