Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Shiva799
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Query

I'm novice in PowerBI and from knowledge I gathered from different sites and forums I find the statement Power BI is better than other reporting technologies. I found in my research that the Direct Query method will allow you to get live data and will not allow any data manipulation but only first million records can be shown. So how is this good when the data you get from sp or tables have records more than a million and you wish that all of it shown?

Second in Import Query you can get all the data from database and also you can manipulate data but only 8 times refresh is possible. Doesn't this mean that the report published in servercan only be viewd by 8 people in a day and rest of the people viewing the report will show only 8th time refreshed data? What about the data in database that are updated after that 8th refresh data? Also there's a 1 GB limit to import query so doesn't this mean its practically defeats the purpose of showing correct reports to viewers?

Am i missing something here? Please explain

Thanks in advance

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shiva799,

The 1GB limit for import query only applies if you want to publish your report to Power BI Service; otherwise you can have as much data as you want in your Power BI Desktop file. Power BI put a cap on number of times (8 times) you can schedule data refresh automatically per day, but you are free to refresh your data manually as many times you wish. 

View solution in original post

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Shiva799,

So your requirement is to achieve larger refresh frequency and no limitation of dataset, right? The premium license can meet your requirement because premium users can have a dedicated hardware wihch is different from shared capacity. In scheduled refreshes, premium user have no limitation like 8x a day when scheduling refreshes with imported models. In addtion, Power BI Premium gives you the advantage of overcommitting your capacity. For example, you can publish more datasets than capacity memory can hold. If the published datasets in your capacity need more memory than can fit in the capacity, some of the datasets will be stored separately in a persistent storage. The persistent storage is part of 100 TBs storage associated with each of your capacities.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Shiva799,

So your requirement is to achieve larger refresh frequency and no limitation of dataset, right? The premium license can meet your requirement because premium users can have a dedicated hardware wihch is different from shared capacity. In scheduled refreshes, premium user have no limitation like 8x a day when scheduling refreshes with imported models. In addtion, Power BI Premium gives you the advantage of overcommitting your capacity. For example, you can publish more datasets than capacity memory can hold. If the published datasets in your capacity need more memory than can fit in the capacity, some of the datasets will be stored separately in a persistent storage. The persistent storage is part of 100 TBs storage associated with each of your capacities.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shiva799,

The 1GB limit for import query only applies if you want to publish your report to Power BI Service; otherwise you can have as much data as you want in your Power BI Desktop file. Power BI put a cap on number of times (8 times) you can schedule data refresh automatically per day, but you are free to refresh your data manually as many times you wish. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.