cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Otso Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Publisher for Excel transforms values into text

I have several calculated columns (decimal-type) in PBI, which work well when I create PBI reports. When I connect to Excel using "Connect to Data" the numbers convert to text, and manipulating/ranking the numbers in an Excel pivot table becomes impossible. How can I make sure the numbers come through as values, not as text?

8 REPLIES 8
Otso Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Numbers convert into text when exporting back to Excel

I have several calculated columns (decimal-type) in PBI, which work well when I create PBI reports. When I connect to Excel using "Connect to Data" the numbers convert to text, and manipulating/ranking the numbers in an Excel pivot table becomes impossible. How can I make sure the numbers come through as values, not as text?

Super User
Super User

Re: Power BI Publisher for Excel transforms values into text

Are you sure they turn to text?  Analyse in Excel doesn't support implicit measures - you must write explicit measures in Power BI first. Said another way, you can drag a column of numbers to the values section in Power BI, but you can't do it in Excel connected to Power BI

* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
Super User
Super User

Re: Numbers convert into text when exporting back to Excel

Duplicate post http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Power-BI-Publisher-for-Excel-transforms-values-into-text/m-p...

* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
Otso Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

MattAllington, I have explicit measures built I use for the Values section, but for Rows section, I (try to) use calculated columns. I have about 400k rows that need to be ranked, but I'm unable to do that as the Pivot table treats the row values as text (99.89, 997, 99.6, etc.).

Super User
Super User

Well that certainly sounds like a bug then. You should report it 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Hi @Otso,

What is your data source?  Would you mind sharing me sample data of your scenario?

I make a test using my sample data, but I am not able to reproduce your issue. When I connect to my dataset that has calculated column(decimal-type) from Excel, I can successfully drag the calculated column to ROWS section. You can check the following screenshots to get more details.
1.PNG2.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
DieterH Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem. Also if I transform explicitly the type via power query to Type.Int64 it will be handled in the data modell like text.

Is there anysolution

Thanks

vitormoreira Visitor
Visitor

Same problem here with Excel 2016 and latest Power BI Add-in.

It passed 1 year.

Any solution for this?

It's very annoying and turns the add-in useless.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 257 members 2,303 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: