Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Otso

Power BI Publisher for Excel transforms values into text

I have several calculated columns (decimal-type) in PBI, which work well when I create PBI reports. When I connect to Excel using "Connect to Data" the numbers convert to text, and manipulating/ranking the numbers in an Excel pivot table becomes impossible. How can I make sure the numbers come through as values, not as text?

8 REPLIES 8
vitormoreira
Regular Visitor

Same problem here with Excel 2016 and latest Power BI Add-in.

It passed 1 year.

Any solution for this?

It's very annoying and turns the add-in useless.

Are you sure they turn to text?  Analyse in Excel doesn't support implicit measures - you must write explicit measures in Power BI first. Said another way, you can drag a column of numbers to the values section in Power BI, but you can't do it in Excel connected to Power BI

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

MattAllington, I have explicit measures built I use for the Values section, but for Rows section, I (try to) use calculated columns. I have about 400k rows that need to be ranked, but I'm unable to do that as the Pivot table treats the row values as text (99.89, 997, 99.6, etc.).

Hi @Otso,

What is your data source?  Would you mind sharing me sample data of your scenario?

I make a test using my sample data, but I am not able to reproduce your issue. When I connect to my dataset that has calculated column(decimal-type) from Excel, I can successfully drag the calculated column to ROWS section. You can check the following screenshots to get more details.
1.PNG2.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Well that certainly sounds like a bug then. You should report it 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

I have the same problem. Also if I transform explicitly the type via power query to Type.Int64 it will be handled in the data modell like text.

Is there anysolution

Thanks

Otso

I have several calculated columns (decimal-type) in PBI, which work well when I create PBI reports. When I connect to Excel using "Connect to Data" the numbers convert to text, and manipulating/ranking the numbers in an Excel pivot table becomes impossible. How can I make sure the numbers come through as values, not as text?

Duplicate post http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Power-BI-Publisher-for-Excel-transforms-values-into-text/m-p...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.