Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Otso

Power BI Publisher for Excel transforms values into text

I have several calculated columns (decimal-type) in PBI, which work well when I create PBI reports. When I connect to Excel using "Connect to Data" the numbers convert to text, and manipulating/ranking the numbers in an Excel pivot table becomes impossible. How can I make sure the numbers come through as values, not as text?

8 REPLIES 8
vitormoreira
Regular Visitor

Same problem here with Excel 2016 and latest Power BI Add-in.

It passed 1 year.

Any solution for this?

It's very annoying and turns the add-in useless.

Are you sure they turn to text?  Analyse in Excel doesn't support implicit measures - you must write explicit measures in Power BI first. Said another way, you can drag a column of numbers to the values section in Power BI, but you can't do it in Excel connected to Power BI

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

MattAllington, I have explicit measures built I use for the Values section, but for Rows section, I (try to) use calculated columns. I have about 400k rows that need to be ranked, but I'm unable to do that as the Pivot table treats the row values as text (99.89, 997, 99.6, etc.).

Hi @Otso,

What is your data source?  Would you mind sharing me sample data of your scenario?

I make a test using my sample data, but I am not able to reproduce your issue. When I connect to my dataset that has calculated column(decimal-type) from Excel, I can successfully drag the calculated column to ROWS section. You can check the following screenshots to get more details.
1.PNG2.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Well that certainly sounds like a bug then. You should report it 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

I have the same problem. Also if I transform explicitly the type via power query to Type.Int64 it will be handled in the data modell like text.

Is there anysolution

Thanks

Otso

I have several calculated columns (decimal-type) in PBI, which work well when I create PBI reports. When I connect to Excel using "Connect to Data" the numbers convert to text, and manipulating/ranking the numbers in an Excel pivot table becomes impossible. How can I make sure the numbers come through as values, not as text?

Duplicate post http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Power-BI-Publisher-for-Excel-transforms-values-into-text/m-p...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.