Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lememins
Regular Visitor

Power BI Pro vs Micrososft 365 VS Premium

Hi, 

I've got a direct query connecting via a SQL server.

When I edit the query (change a number to %, any data transformations) I get an error message saying 'This step results in a query that is not supported in DirectQuery mode.'

Is this a limitation of Power BI?
Or is this due to using Microsoft 365 version - i.e. will Pro or premium allow this to be done? 

Or is this a restriction in the settings? 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, all the steps you apply in the query editor will be calculated at the time of every refresh.

Data refresh is set up in the service (app.powerbi.com)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-data#data-refresh

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Proud to be a Super User!

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @lememins ,

In your scenario, it is not a Power BI Pro vs Micrososft 365 problem, it is a limitation when you are using the Direct Querry mode, you can try to create a measure with the function FORMAT() to change it in the visual level.

Best Regards,

Teige

Teige, thanks fo rthe reply.

I might be wrong but I think the data transformation I want to do would be very complicated using measures - part of what I want to do is order the data by three different fields, then compare to the previous event and then calculate current - previous occurance.....unless you can direct me to an existing answer on this? (I found the create index and merge the tables which works in import mode quite simple to do)

SteveCampbell
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

This is a limitation of direct query.

Direct query recalculates every time you interact with the report, so for performance you cannot do much data manipulation, as this would have to be executed every time a user interacts with the report in any way.

I would reccomend using import if possible, the rfresh limits are quite good (8 per day for pro, 48 for premium), otherwise you are limited in data transformations.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Proud to be a Super User!

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

Thanks Steve.

I'm not familiar with the import, but if I import and set up a re-fresh rate on the data would the calculation automatically be applied? If so this would solve all my issues! 🙂

Is there a link to set up this data refresh? (I've had a look and can't find it...maybe naming it wrong)

Yes, all the steps you apply in the query editor will be calculated at the time of every refresh.

Data refresh is set up in the service (app.powerbi.com)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-data#data-refresh

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.