Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

juliovaz96

Power BI Performance consuming a huge amount of data from CosmosDB

Hey friends,

How are you?

I have a data architecture based on CosmosDB. Basically I have an Worker Role that connects to an API and brings the RAW DATA (JSON) to many CosmosDB collections (1 colletion per API).

I would like to consume this data through Power BI and of course, shape this data to create a report. Do you have some considerations or best practices on that scenario? Is it ok to have the transformation of that raw data in Power BI?

In summary:

Partner API <---> Worker Role (Azure Function) ---> CosmosDB.      <------- Power BI to transform & shape the data & deliver reports to our customers. 

1 REPLY 1
GTPowerBIUser
Helper III
Helper III

I dont have a ton of experience in this area but check out the incremental refresh. That might assist with reducing the amount of data you need to refresh: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium-incremental-refresh

When I do have alot of data, I find that the desktop version always wants to download everything. To get around this you can simply set it to only download a fraction of the data in Power Query, upload to the web version and then do the refresh there to see how your visuals work out. This of course requires you to share the web version with folks, not the desktop version.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.