Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

srlabhe123
Post Patron
Post Patron

Power BI Models

Hi Experts,

We have set of Business Object reports based out of universes, now we are planning to move these reports to Power BI.

The users creates reports on Ad hoc basis based out of universes here.

Now we have decided to change all this setup to Power BI, I know we can do Power Bi reports design, but have few questions below:

1. What is the effective way to replicate universes in such model so that Users can design ad-hoc reports out of it. Here users are not SQL friendly hence we need to have Universe like model available for them to create Power BI reports.
  2. What are the tools we need to have to have universe like models so that Users can create ad-hoc power bi reports? Can we use SSAS to design models for reports
  3. If SSAS ,whether a Power BI report can be designed from multiple models (Like a Business Objects reportins connecting to more than 1 universes)
  4. Can SSAS models be Semantic Layer witout storing data in it?

Appreciate the replies and suggestions here.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@srlabhe123 I have no idea what universes are in the Oracle world, can you explain? Sound like workspaces in Power BI or maybe golden datasets. See Power BI Usage Models here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Power-BI-Usage-Models-in-Pictures/ba-p/1342820

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Greg, I have gone through the link provided by you and I am interested in building models where SSAS comes in picture. In your link it explains as below

"This is very similar to the Golden Dataset approach except that the development of the "golden dataset" does not occur within Power BI but rather within more tranditional systems like SQL Server, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) and SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) or Teradata, Oracle, etc. Otherwise, the concept and approach is pretty similar"

Can you please reply for questions on SSAS in my original post, that woudl help me to move haed on this.

Thanks

Swapnil

Thaks for reply Greg,

The Universes are nothing but data models in business objects. Which joins tables with each others with relationships and user can just drag and drop object to create reports.

The universes in Business Objects does not have memory they always talk to Database.Hope it answers your question.

Can you suggest a good way to build such models for Power BI reports form which users can create their own adhoc reports.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.