Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Hendrik_LI
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Model & Reports Documentation File formats

Hi all,

I am tasked with documenting existing models and their subsequent reports.

The idea is if the original model creator leaves the company, I'll be able to give this "document" to their replacement and they would be able to understand what is going on. Such as how the tables are linked and what measures branch into others etc.

I have looked through the forums and everyone talks about tools, data library and so forth.

My simple question is this:

Which file format is the best way to document a model?

For example, is it more efficient building the documentation file in Excel, Word, OneNote, or Power Point itself?

I dont mind even manually taking screenshots, writing each line manually BUT if there is someone with experience in how to best  start documentating without wasting any time in the process, it would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Hendrik_LI ,

It seems a good way to use SharePoint Online and use the Excel format.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hendrik_LI - Would be good to use Word or Powerpoint so that the snaps can be attched and seen properly.

Appreciate your kudos!! Mark my post as solution if this helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.